No headlight after coil mod

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
91Veteran
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing

No headlight after coil mod

Post by 91Veteran »

I did the Dodge Neon coil mod on Saturday as described here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11085&sid=3d77c890f ... 3&start=25

and the bike runs great now. I went to ride it to work this morning, and found out I have no headlight. It's very possible I did not have the headlight after doing the mod and riding it since the couple times I rode it after the mod was during the day.

When doing the mod, I disconnected the connector for the coils when taking the coils out. I cut the wires going to that connector and soldered it to the connector going to the new coils. I did not put back in the ballast resistor.

Is it possible I bumped something to cause my headlight to go out?

I took the headlight out tonight and tested it, and both the high and low beam will light up with 12 volts. I checked the 3 wire connector to the headlight. There is a blue wire, white wire and green wire going to that connector. I have 12 volts on the white wire when the dimmer switch is on low beam, but nothing on any of the wires with the dimmer switch on high beam. The fuses check good, and I recall reading about the dimmer switch being a problem on high beam, but I checked the dimmer switch and didn't see anything obvious.

Any suggestions? I plan on taking off the false tank tomorrow among other things to see if I can see anything obvious, and plan on looking at the schematic tonight. Any help would be appreciated.

91Veteran
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing

Re: No headlight after coil mod

Post by 91Veteran »

MAN I LOVE THIS SITE!

After posting the above problem, I did some more searching here and found a forum post:

viewtopic.php?t=7378

of the exact same problem where it turned out to be the starter switch causing the problem. I never would have thought of that since the bike starts fine, and the starter switch doesn't seem to be sticking. I walked out to the garage, turned the key on and wiggled the starter switch just a little, and my headlight came on. I would rather take that apart and clean it than take off the false tank looking for a ghost when I put in the coil mod.