Running Light Speedo/Tach not working

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Running Light Speedo/Tach not working

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I re-installed the rear tire on my bike yesterday. I took off both saddlebags and disconnected the wiring to them. Pretty much all that I did to the wring. Now the running light and the speedometer and tach lights don't work. I looked at the wiring diagram and I see that there is a common ground but I can't see anything else that would take out both of these. BTW both turn signals work along with the idiot light in the dash, and the brake lights are ok.

I checked all of the fuses for continuity. Is there something that is powering both of these sets of lights that I am missing?

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Running Light Speedo/Tach not working

Post by Wilcoy02 »

When you put the false tank back on, you may have pulled the wires from those instruments.
Follow the wires down to the connections. Just my 2 cents.

Taking the back lights out at the connection( under the seat) should not have affected the front gauges.
Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I didn't take off the false tank, just unhooked the turn signal wires so I could remove the saddlebags. I'm kinda stumped.
redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug »

Ok, pull the lights tail light fuse and replace with another known good fuse, sometimes corrosion between the fuse and the holder clips will stop flow. While the fuse is out check voltage across the fuse terminals with a test light or volt meter. If I remember right the saddle bags have green and brown wires , check connections again. Be sure they are not caught in a bind along and up the fender or any bare wires going to ground. Now on the schematic the brown wire (taillights) powers the 7v regulator and maybe that went haywire, but then again the starter button could be not making contact to close the circuit to let current flow. Doesn't make sense either but....hope this helps
" Riding on Tulsa Time "
Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack »

Putting in a new fuse fixed it. I had already thought that that was the problem so I picked up some fuses this morning. I think what happened is that my testers' battery was low and just showed an open line all the time.

Thanks for the responses.