Electrical question- removed my trunk surround chrome and lights

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
BRYuma43
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Electrical question- removed my trunk surround chrome and lights

Post by BRYuma43 »

So I removed the chrome saddle bag guard wrap around rear light bar thingy on my 1983 Aspencade. It needed some rehab and has a bunch of lights that I don't need and I figure my charging system would appreciate its removal.... It had one black wire that connected it to the rest of the bike electrically. I cut that wire. Now my tail light doesn't work but the brake light does. Checked the 10 amp fuse and it fried. Put in another and the tail light worked but then the fuse blew again. I looked at the wiring diagram in my shop manual and here and there's nothing for the Aspencade fancy lights. Thoughts? Oh, also, earlier in the day I removed the dogbone fuse and replaced it with a 30 amp blade fuse. Maybe I'm pumping more electrons than the system is used too!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: Electrical question- removed my trunk surround chrome and lights

Post by AZgl1800 »

As regards the Light Load,

you just did your Stator a disfavor...

Stators put out Full Current at RPM all the time... it is the nature of the beast.

The Regulator/Rectifier unit has to Absorb all of the extra current that is NOT needed to charge the battery. IF, the regulator does not absorb ( lE, load to ground ) the extra current, the battery will be over-charged and boil the water dry.

So, as long as the battery can remain fully charged at 13.6-14.0 volts at speed, add more lights so folks can see you.

The more light load, the cooler the regulator will run. And that is a good thing.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
BRYuma43

Post by BRYuma43 »

Interesting... I'm not opposed to extra lights. Maybe I'll put in a little work and reinstall. THe biggest issue was the small red "bullet" lights on the corners have faded lenses so they're not really red anymore and one of the rectangular lenses is damaged. I imagine I won't find replacements. I'll look for something similar. (see pic)

A related question... I had removed my volt meter display and didn't mark which wire went to which lug. There is a green wire and a black wire. I didn't see this on any wiring diagram. When I removed the wires I remember thinking about which wire went closest to the display light on the back, but I'll be darned if I could remember when it came to re-installing!
Attachments

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

Green is ground or Negative (-)

Black is Positive (+)

On Goldwings, Green is ground every where, you will see multiple green wires merged into a common point, and that point must be clean and free of corrosion.

Bad grounds are the bain of all motorcycle electrics.

One nice thing about Voltmeters.
You can hook them up backwards w/o fear of damage.
Yes, the needle drops below Zero but it won't ruin the instrument.

hook it up, turn on the key, if it reads voltage, you got it right.
IF it went backwards, duh, turn the leads around.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo »

You've got a short to ground. Trace what you JUST did, and you'll find the problem there.
BRYuma43

Post by BRYuma43 »

Started looking for shorts. When I put a new fuse in now, it doesn't blow. Not sure what that means. I'm not getting power at the volt meter display light either. Not sure if that changes where I might have a short. It probably doesn't matter since they're on the same circuit right?
BRYuma43

Post by BRYuma43 »

Was doing some more reading on here about the relationship between the ignition switch and the taillights. I have to jiggle my key to get it in the run position. I just had an idea and went and played with it some more. I can remove it when the bike is running. Is that a problem? I'll research it.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

BRYuma43 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:27 am Was doing some more reading on here about the relationship between the ignition switch and the taillights. I have to jiggle my key to get it in the run position. I just had an idea and went and played with it some more. I can remove it when the bike is running. Is that a problem? I'll research it.
Being able to remove the key when it is on points to worn tumblers or pins in the lock, not a problem with the switch contacts themselves.
BRYuma43

Post by BRYuma43 »

Thanks! Ill keep an eye on the ignition.... but I'm up and running. I feel like this bike is ready for 100k more miles.