I have a problem keeping it idling

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Kentzler pride
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

I have a problem keeping it idling

Post by Kentzler pride »

Here's the issue just bought an 82 GL 1100 put new timing belt change the oil change the coolant new battery and did the Sea Foam stuff it starts it runs only when the clutch is out when I push the clutch in it dies I pull the clutch back out started it runs with like a little bog every now and then push the clutch back in it dies unless I rev it if I keep it real kiss stay running the minute I let it off it will die I put it in first gear it dies anytime I push the clutch in it will die I need help what do I do next

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: I have a problem keeping it idling

Post by RBGERSON »

Sounds like clogged idle jet..requires carbs to be pulled and cleaned if not rebuilt!!

Your statement is confusing what does "when the clutch is out when I push the clutch in it dies" what does in and out mean. how about using engaged and not engaged..or in gear or out of gear??
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Kentzler pride
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by Kentzler pride »

Yea sorry about that, i wrote that at work, i ment to say choke, the bike will only stay idle if the choke is out,soon as I push the choke back in it dies,
4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Post by 4wred »

RBGERSON wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:55 am Sounds like clogged idle jet..requires carbs to be pulled and cleaned if not rebuilt!!

EXACTLY^^
Clogged idle jets,and or idle circuits. When choke is engaged you get less air more fuel !!
That's why it idles with choke on.
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

This is pretty much SOP on these old Wings. Looks like you are about ready to get intimate with your carburetors. Be sure you do your homework on this because you only want to do it once. If they are real clean (longshot) then maybe all you'll need are the float bowl rings and clean all the jets. Not just the idle circuit. You are probably not going to get by with that. So you'll need a carb kit, tear them in half and completely rebuild them. They can be made to run pretty good if you don't expect sportbike performance.

A lot of people here, and elsewhere, recommend rebuild kits from Randakk.com, but never having bought them I can't. There are a lot of tutorials on this, and plenty of help here. If you can do timing belts, you can do carbs.

Be ready to synch them when you are done.