Radio fuses

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
BRYuma43
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Radio fuses

Post by BRYuma43 »

First, thank you for this site! I've been able to troubleshoot some electrical issues on my 83 aspencade. I've done the 3 wire fix and replaced the dogbone too! My new question is... I've been keeping the bike on a battery tender which apparently has masked some parasitic draw. Dead this morning after removing the battery tender.

Tonight I will:

Load test the battery
check voltage at idle and at RPMs.

Assuming the above are normal, I'm wondering if some hacking of radio wires could be a problem. I added an aftermarket radio connected directly to the aux fuse. I've cut various original radio wires that I knew were radio wires. Could that cause a problem with possible shorts etc. I suppose it would. I read on here that the white inline fuses behind the left front turn signal are for the radio. Is that correct? If I remove those would that solve any leftover radio wiring short possibilities? None of the fuses under the false tank are related to the radio, correct?

I saw instructions on testing the stator etc. I'll read up on that as well.

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Radio fuses

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I put in a new radio about a month ago and I asked the question if I wired it straight to the battery if the radio memory would draw down the battery. I was told that the current draw is minimal. I have had no problems since.

I read replies that most anything connected directly to the battery has potential to drain it so all I have is the radio. I'll bet that when all is said and done that your battery is going to that big electron in the sky.
BRYuma43
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Radio fuses

Post by BRYuma43 »

Yeah, I load tested the battery and it's borderline. My load tester checks the charging system too and shows that as borderline as well. I've got some accessory driving lights on this bike that must be the 55 watt variety I've read about on here because with the bike running and those lights on, I watch the volts on my multimeter drop like a stone! Those are coming off. I need to upgrade my headlight too though or else I basically can't ride at night. Hopefully with no driving lights and a more efficient headlight I'll be ok.