Protect newly polished aluminum covers


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
Joneszy
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 pm
Location: Minnedosa Manitoba Canada
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by Joneszy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:51 pm



So I am in the process of polishing (using buffing wheels and red rouge)my timing belt covers and valve covers plus some other parts on my 83 Aspencade. I have searched high and low but can't find a well recommended wax/protectant to keep these parts shining like they are after polishing. I am hoping that someone here has done the same procedure and can recommend a product that will keep my polished aluminum from quickly corroding again. I am coming to realize that I will have to keep the covers clean & wax/coat often but was wondering what product is best. Really want to keep them looking as GR8 as they do now.
Thanx



User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Here is one:

http://www.flitz.com/


but this one is just awesome:

http://strongarmsprays.com/

that one product is all you need, once on metal, rust never returns again.

just lightly touch it up once or twice a riding season.
~John

Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:08 pm

I used on a CB750 valve cover bees wax which had been polished professionally.

I applied the wax when the motor was cold and liberally rubbed it in for about 10 minutes to make sure I got every nook and cranny.

The cloth I was using came away quite back - even after all the polishing and cleaning - I kept applying the wax until I no longer got any black residue on the cloth.

I then went for a ride for about 15 minutes. When I came back I spent another 10 minutes or so just buffing the cover.

I think the beeswax from the heat of the motor melted into the pores of the aluminium cover, there was a small amount of excess wax that was buffed off as well.

The cover remained absolutely pristine for the next 3 years without any further attention apart from a wipe over. Just before I sold it - I did the same treatment again - looked fantastic

User avatar
mytown
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:54 am
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by mytown » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Here is a link to my favorite polishing tutorial: http://globalcxglvtwins.forumlaunch.net ... f=17&t=542 In it is recommended a product called MAAS for use after you are done polishing. I've used it and have been pretty happy with it.


Nothing will work as well as having the parts professionally clear coated after being polished. I once asked a body shop if they would clear coat some parts after I polished them. They said sure, to bring the parts in and they would coat them while doing their next paint job. Didn't have it done and can't remember the cost but something to consider.

Joneszy
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 pm
Location: Minnedosa Manitoba Canada
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by Joneszy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanx all for the info. Likely going to use a few pieces of polished aluminum bar and try MASS as it's available on Amazon.ca, maybe Flitz and likely beeswax or maybe carnuba as I can readily access those. Have also read that a product sold by Home depot Zep for heavy traffic areas on hard surface flooring might be another solution. Any other ideas?

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3405
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by dingdong » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 am

You will find that with a good polishing the covers will take years to corrode again even without waxing. I polished the covers and forks on my 76 12 or 13 years ago. They still look the same with a once a year polishing with Turtle Wax. No clear coat necessary or recommended. Clear coating will yellow and eventually start to deteriorate. Just like the factory coating did.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
mytown
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:54 am
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by mytown » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:38 am

dingdong wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 am
You will find that with a good polishing the covers will take years to corrode again even without waxing. I polished the covers and forks on my 76 12 or 13 years ago. They still look the same with a once a year polishing with Turtle Wax. No clear coat necessary or recommended. Clear coating will yellow and eventually start to deteriorate. Just like the factory coating did.
Maybe if your bike is a garage queen, but mine sits outside and gets ridden. And to say that using Turtle Wax or any wax for that matter provides the same amount of protection as professional clear coating is ridiculous.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3405
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by dingdong » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:21 pm

mytown wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:38 am
dingdong wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 am
You will find that with a good polishing the covers will take years to corrode again even without waxing. I polished the covers and forks on my 76 12 or 13 years ago. They still look the same with a once a year polishing with Turtle Wax. No clear coat necessary or recommended. Clear coating will yellow and eventually start to deteriorate. Just like the factory coating did.
Maybe if your bike is a garage queen, but mine sits outside and gets ridden. And to say that using Turtle Wax or any wax for that matter provides the same amount of protection as professional clear coating is ridiculous.
Hmmm? Very interesting reply. Nice that we can all have and relate our own opinions and experiences on this forum. I think!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
mytown
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:54 am
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by mytown » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:02 pm

Joneszy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 pm
Thanx all for the info. Likely going to use a few pieces of polished aluminum bar and try MASS as it's available on Amazon.ca, maybe Flitz and likely beeswax or maybe carnuba as I can readily access those. Have also read that a product sold by Home depot Zep for heavy traffic areas on hard surface flooring might be another solution. Any other ideas?
Sure. Consider using the rattle-can clear coat on your carb caps. Seeing the caps as being relatively protected from the elements when compared to say, the intakes and valve covers, I went ahead and used it on mine. They still look good after a couple of years and I’m not grinding my fingers off in that area trying to get a shine. If doing so turns into a problem they are easy enough to strip and re-polish.

Joneszy
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 pm
Location: Minnedosa Manitoba Canada
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Protect newly polished aluminum covers

Post by Joneszy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:31 am

Mytown thanx for that. Might be a good idea as they are a little harder to get in and polish.May try that on one cap and see how that goes.



Post Reply