Aftermarket guages

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
tstjohn84
Motorcycle: 82 GL110 A

Aftermarket guages

Post by tstjohn84 »

Hi everyone I'm not really new to the forum but I haven't really had much to say. I will say that this site has been extremely helpful to me. I was given an 82 GL1100I about a year ago that a buddy had bought for a grand. He gave to me because he couldn't get the rear brakes to release after a botched brake job. Lucky me! I'll admit never been a Honda guy especially older ones, but when you don't have a bike and you get it free what ya gonna do. And after a lot of work and hours on this sites DIY articles I had it up and running good in a few weeks. Rode it all summer.
So I've decided I like the cafe look and have started the transition. Got rid of the factory turn signals and tail lights. Got drag bars,new clutch and brake levers,new taillight/rearturnsignals LED, and I'm getting ready to put after market guages on. Which is where my skills fade for lack of a better word. I know with the new LED rear taillights/turn signals I need to get a newer relay. But with new LED fuel gauge, tach, odometer and speedometer I don't know what to do.
So I guess my question is has anybody ever put aftermarket guages like this on their goldwing and if so do I still use the 7 volt regulator or upgrade to a newer bigger regulator. Any help would be much appriciated thanks in advance.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Aftermarket guages

Post by DaveO430 »

tstjohn84 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:35 am
So I guess my question is has anybody ever put aftermarket guages like this on their goldwing and if so do I still use the 7 volt regulator or upgrade to a newer bigger regulator. Any help would be much appriciated thanks in advance.
That depends on what voltage your gauges run on. If they are 12v you don't need a regulator.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Without pictures this thread doesn't exist. We like pics.
tstjohn84

Post by tstjohn84 »

OK thanks daveo430 so does that mean I can do away with the 7volt regulator the one on the bike has gone bad was gonna buy on eBay but won't worry about it if I don't need it.

Here's a couple pics for ya Dingdong only had a couple on my phone...was gonna post a video of it running right after I did the carb conversion but for some reason it won't let me.

In the middle of putting new clutch level, brake lever/master cylinder, drag bar, risers and grips on.
In the middle of putting new clutch level, brake lever/master cylinder, drag bar, risers and grips on.

Once I got it back together...daughter loves the bike. I putt her around town some she loves it
Once I got it back together...daughter loves the bike. I putt her around town some she loves it

JamtJrus
Motorcycle: Gl1100 1980 with a bit Vrod on it
Gl1100 Aspencade 1983 (imported from US 1997)

Post by JamtJrus »

I'd say NO PROBLEM!

I converted mine -80 Gl1100 to a 25$ china gauge.
RPM was the hardest thing to solve because of lack of information from the gauges manufacturer.
Fuel was easy, gauge had some different settings for different Ohm
Speed has it's own sensor with magnets that you put on the rotors.
The rest is a walk in the park

But some time on the internet reading about and getting the "right" gauges pays off.

This is not GW but it's a well made clip of an installation, same gauge as mine, missing oilpressure and watertemp tho

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

and an update on the RPM

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Magnus
tstjohn84

Post by tstjohn84 »

Thank you JamtJrus I was actually looking at one just like it very helpful

Did you do away with the 7 volt regulator when you installed this on yours?
JamtJrus
Motorcycle: Gl1100 1980 with a bit Vrod on it
Gl1100 Aspencade 1983 (imported from US 1997)

Post by JamtJrus »

The 7 volt regulator is only needed by te stock gauges. Aftermarket don't any need or have there regulators builtin in the gauge.

Magnus