What in the...please don't say head gasket

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tstjohn84
Motorcycle: 82 GL110 A

What in the...please don't say head gasket

Post by tstjohn84 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm

I have an 82 GL1100I had it running great over the summer rode almost everyday it wasn't raining and few when it was. So the last time I rode it about a month ago I laid it over right in front of my house trying not to hit the neighbors dumbarse dog wasn't going very fast but it hit pretty hard. After laying in the middle of the road for a minute I got up checked myself other than a busted elbow I was good. Went picked the bike up looked it over(had to shut it off) other than a bent engine guard and a scratch on the exhaust all seemed OK. Fired right up rode to the garage and parked it. Took the battery out and put it up for the winter. So yesterday was kind of decent out, I'm bored want to go for a ride. Grab the battery and head out to the garage. Now my garage isn't heated so its been a while since I've been out there. I opened the door ready to throw that battery in and hit the road. I walk around my jeep (supposed to be a winter project may be on hold now) and see my bike sitting in a huge puddle of engine coolant! I immediately get out the tools yank the seat and false tank off and check the radiator fluid level. Its full. Looks good no oil to be seen. So I go ahead and check the oil its good clean no coolant. (At this point I had not thought of the resevoir level yet) So I hesitantly put the battery in knowing my plans on riding were shot dead. It fired right up. Took a minute to get it to idle, but I just blame that on the cold. I noticed some smoke coming from the exhaust maybe whiteish grey. It cleared up pretty quick. The cap was still off the radiator and the coolant wasn't circulating that's when I noticed the resivoir was bone dry. So I tapped the throttle once. Now to my understanding when the caps off the radiator and you engage the throttle the fluid level should go down a little. Well it didn't. It pushed it up. Leaked a little over the engine. No big deal right. Well that's about the time it seemed like every thing started smoking and I mean smoking it looked like it was on fire. I shut it down quick fast and in a hurry. It looked like smoke (it was white) was coming out of the exhaust intakes only on the left side (which is the side it landed on when i laid it ove) and out of the thermostat housing. So has anyone ever experienced anything like this.could the thermostat be locked up not letting the coolant through. The 7voLt regulator has gone bad so I don't know how hot it got. it was on my winter to do list. But it only ran a few minutes tops. Oh and the bike was on the kick stand leaning left maybe that has something to do with the intakes smoking. I did check the coolant and oil again and still clean but I don't know if that would be a false tale since the coolant isn't circulating. Maybe the water pump? Any and all thoughts or advice would be greatly appriciated I've put to much time and money into this bike to see it goe down.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: What in the...please don't say head gasket

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:20 pm

I'd probably try and discover where the coolant came from - and see if it still leaking - either from the radiator - hoses - thermostat housing etc before panicking too much.

But if the whitish smoke persists - it could be coolant in the cylinders - being burnt off.... so eliminate where it is coming from first..

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:22 pm

wrong answer, delete.
read thread wrong...
~John

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Thermostat probably not open running only a few minutes..If no water in the oil. I'd put the cap back on fill the reservoir with some anti-freeze and start her up..get her up to operating temperature..and listen and watch. Was the engine cover hit or just the guard? Maybe fix/replace the temp gauge before you do anything or keep a thermometer on the engine to track temps.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 pm

MY educated guess is the hose from the coolant tank to the radiator had a crack in it and started leaking which drained the coolant out and all over the engine then after it ran a few minutes it got hot enough to start burning off the antifreeze. Fix the leak and hose it off with water. Yes the coolant level will rise when you rev the engine if the thermostat is still closed.

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 am

White smoke from the exhaust is nearly always a head gasket. Your other choice is cracked head.
It happened to my bike, first the left side, then the right. Do yourself a favor and do both at once.

Cosmo

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:26 am

jeffcosmo wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 am
White smoke from the exhaust is nearly always a head gasket. Your other choice is cracked head. The overflow from the radiator was due to the compression pressurizing the cooling system.
It happened to my bike, first the left side, then the right. Do yourself a favor and do both at once.

Cosmo

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 am

Mine will often leak after sitting from the coolant cross tubes that run from the top center of the motor over to the elbows which go into the head. There are o-rings in each end of the cross tubes. They often just seep a little out. It is hard to see and many have been fooled thinking it’s the head gasket. The coolant follows the low points of the elbows and then the ridge of the slightly protruding head gasket around and down. If it left a puddle, it leaked quite a bit. It shouldn’t have been able to get into the exhaust as it would have to go uphill to get around the copper exhaust rings.

When mine do it, I just reach down and grasp the tubes and roll them a little and they stop usually until the next real cold snap. There’s little room, but enough to use plyers and a rag to do it.

You may as well check the inexpensive things first.

Being the left side took a substantial hit, it’s possible the head gasket was compromised.