Exhaust spitting oil from r/h exhaust

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
gshit43
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate side car outfit

Exhaust spitting oil from r/h exhaust

Post by gshit43 »

Hi i'm new to the site so thank you for accepting me. I own a 1981 Gl1100 interstate which I purchased as a project (motor intact but not in frame). I have reassembled the bike and got the motor going. My problem is that it blows a heap of smoke and looks to drip oil from the r/h exhaust. Thinking the rings might be shot I did a compression test on all 4 cylinders with readings around 130 psi on all cylinders. After reading this forum I have found I have done an incorrect compression test ( carburettors not open and no teaspoon of oil down cylinders). My question is what would cause oil to blow out of the r/h exhaust?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Exhaust spitting oil from r/h exhaust

Post by Maz »

Run the compression test again with the throttles open. If all the cylinders read roughly the same (130 is very good), don't worry about the teaspoon of oil in the cylinders. You only need to do this if one or more of the readings is low - The teaspoon of oil is put into the low reading cylinder to temporarily seal the rings to the bore to allow you to establish whether the lack of compression is due to wear in the rings/bore (compression will substantially increase in this case) or due to leaking valves (compression will remain roughly the same).
Is it definitely oil coming out of the exhaust? Possible it's condensation, blackened with carbon from inside the silencer or fuel (likewise contaminated) from overflowing carb due to a stuck or leaky float valve.

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

130 is not good IMHO..it's OK..but manual says below 140... time for new rings or valve job/reset???..double check your valve settings with a stone cold engine over night is best.

170 perfect
160-170 excellent
150-160 great
140-150..good
below 140 maintenance needed

BUT these bikes will run at 100..just not well.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
gshit43
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate side car outfit

Post by gshit43 »

After reading other posts on oil blowing thru exhausts I have decided to rip the heads off and investigate. I'm thinking the issue lies with oil leaking down thru the valve stems.
I don't know the history of the engine but the speedo says it has only done 56000 k's.
Another possibility for the damage could be that it had been run hot and damaged the rings. Would any one know if that's common with these engines. How hot would the engine have to get to this sort of damage?
The engine has a oil coming from the forward cylinder exhaust port when started with the exhaust header disconnected.
I will update post after reseating the valves and replacing the valve seals.
Cheers
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

unless it has somehow gotten low on water, and/or the fan switch failed, I don't think that it should have ever overheated to the point that damage would have resulted.

at 56k kms, I have doubts that the valve guide seals are bad also.

if you open it up, you will be able to ascertain how things are internally.

you will need OEM headgaskets if you take the heads off... be aware that no one has had any real success with aftermarket gasket sets.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc