Custom dash: Guage question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
RCAFRotorhead
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Custom dash: Guage question

Post by RCAFRotorhead » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello folks,

Can I replace the old fuel/temp guages with 12 volt guages and reuse the original sensors or would I need new sending units too?

I am doing a few customisations before this dreaded snow finially departs. The dash and some custom guages are part of the upgrades. I am also putting in a new alternator, lights are now LED, and seat needs some rejigging to my butt...

Anyways, for now I'll wait to hear any points on replacing the factory 7 volt guages with 12 volt.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Keith

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Custom dash: Guage question

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:33 pm

RCAFRotorhead wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:23 pm
Hello folks,

Can I replace the old fuel/temp guages with 12 volt guages and reuse the original sensors or would I need new sending units too?

I am doing a few customisations before this dreaded snow finially departs. The dash and some custom guages are part of the upgrades. I am also putting in a new alternator, lights are now LED, and seat needs some rejigging to my butt...

Anyways, for now I'll wait to hear any points on replacing the factory 7 volt guages with 12 volt.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Keith
You could...but the gauges will need to work with the same calibrations - the sensors are not voltage sensitive, they are just resistors. So if you can calibrate the 12 volt gauges to work with the existing sensors, then the answer is yes.

RCAFRotorhead
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Custom dash: Guage question

Post by RCAFRotorhead » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:33 pm
You could...but the gauges will need to work with the same calibrations - the sensors are not voltage sensitive, they are just resistors. So if you can calibrate the 12 volt gauges to work with the existing sensors, then the answer is yes.
Awesome! Thanks WingAdmin. I greatly appreciate the help. I'll check it in the next week or so and let you know how it goes.