engine won't turn over.. 83 1100gl

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
twick23
Motorcycle: "1983 GL1100 INTERSTATE

engine won't turn over.. 83 1100gl

Post by twick23 »

Driving to work, beautiful day, bike running great, get to stop light. Start to take off and it is chugging like in 3rd gear. I'm in 1st though, go a half block to my work. Still missing a little bit, had changed my starter in Oct. couldn't get the top bolt in. So I get it in and turn it over with switch in off position, spins normal. Later that day I try to start it and get a click,click, click. So I try to roll start it in 2nd gear,, engine will not turn over, stops immediately! Try it in 3rd gear, stops immediately. Took starter back out, looks fine checked it and it spins great! Put back in click click click. It still won't roll start. 83 1100 gl only 36,000 miles, I'm the second owner...

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: engine won't turn over.. 83 1100gl

Post by indianakid »

i'm thinking that you may have a "hydro lock" condition. if you have a float needle in a carb fail / stick open that would explain the "chugging" you experienced. and after sitting not running more fuel could have passed causing the hydro lock. quick test would be to pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over.

the other cause of a goldwing engine locking up (and i hope it didnt happen) is a failed cam belt. i dont think it would cause a chugging condition but it might for a short time until it locks up.

so those are my 2 suggestions to check.

Best of luck !!!
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Center stand, pull plugs put it 5th gear and try to turn the rear wheel..if it wont' turn..most likely a bent valve hanging out..bad news!! If it does turn and/or gas shoots out of one or more of the cylinder you were hyrdo-locked. Time to clean/rebuild your carbs.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
twick23
Motorcycle: "1983 GL1100 INTERSTATE

Post by twick23 »

Thanks for the help! It was a hydro lock, 1 and 3 were full of fuel. Used a nozzle from a glass cleaner, and sprayed it out! Fired right up!
Saved me a trip to the mechanic!
Tom
ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Now you need to repair what caused it. Failure to do so can end up with a bent rod. Ask me how I know.

It is usually float valve and seats but can be the carb-to-plenum seals or the plenum half seal.

Being you had two jugs full, it is likely the plenum seal. Look down in through the air cleaner at the plenum floor. It’s probably wet. To find out where it’s coming from, turn the petcock off, dry the floor off, add a piece of a paper or paper towel to cover the floor. Now turn the gas on and watch. If it gets wet along the plenum halves, it’s the plenum seal. If it comes from the carburetor side first, it’s either if the other two.

To see which, fuel petcock off, dry everything off, remove slide caps and slides, shine a light down the slide opening into the Venturi, turn the gas on. Watch carefully to see if fuel comes from the plenum side, or up through the emulsion tubes and jets.

For the time being, make sure you always turn the petcock to off when you stop. It should be automatic on these.
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I would say you lucked out. I had a hydro lock and it bent a rod in my last engine.

I will repeat what ekvh said: fix the problem, and always turn off the fuel at the petcock.
ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

And to add, fuel petcocks can also fail. Best to find the leak, one of three possibilities.
1 float valves
2 plenum seal
3 carb-to-plenum seals

I’ve had all three, a hat trick. The bent rod trumps them all.