Installing New Turn Signals

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Seth
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1000

Installing New Turn Signals

Post by Seth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am

Hey guys, this is my first post but I’ve used this site as my go to resource as I care for my 83 GL1100. I purchased this cafe racer conversion two years prior and would like to make it a bit more safe by installing turn signals. I bought some of these bar end turn signals https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mot ... AqEALw_wcB, as well as a new flasher relay, more specifically, this one, https://www.customled.com/products/elfr ... OTEALw_wcB. In order to see if the flasher worked (and before I drill a hole in my handlebar to install the new signals) I simply twisted one of the new signals to one of the light blue (right signal) wires and hit the switch. Nothing happened so I tried the same technique with the orange (left signal), then with the light blue and orange running to the tail. Again, nothing happened. So I tested the switch for power and it tested hot, so I know it’s not the switch. I then tested both sets of the orange and light blue wires and neither registered power. I also tried with both the original relay, and the new electronic relay. I’ve tried to trace these back and looked at the wiring diagrams to see where things are connected/disconnected but have had no luck. It’s worth mentioning that there are A LOT of wires that are not longer connected to anything as most of the bike has been stripped of it’s electrical components. In fact, I started down this rabbit hole because I didn’t have a brake light (only tail) and figured while I fixed this I’d install some turn signals. So, my question is this...if the turn signal switch is getting power but all the lamp wiring isn’t, where should I look to reconnect everything? There’s a set of light blue and orange running to the tail, and I’ve found another orange and light blue set with a set of orange w/ white stripe and light blue w/ white stripe (turn signal switch?) bundled together with about 12 different colored wires on the right side, under the false tank. Seems like the switch should run to the lamps and somewhere along the way into the relay...but I can’t find where they all connect. Is it as simple as connecting the orange w/ white and orange, and the same with the light blue w/ white and light blues? Any help would be appreciated!

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Installing New Turn Signals

Post by DaveO430 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am

Normally the wiring all connects in the headlight housing. If you have power to the switch it comes from the flasher, not to it, then goes out via the orange (left) and light blue (right). Follow the harness from the switch to find those, they should plug into the same color somewhere in the mess. The orange/white and blue/white are for the front position lights, they should both be hot when the switch is in the middle and go off on the side you move the switch to, I'm guessing you won't be using those.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 am

Also maybe those handle bars may not able to make a ground. Run a temporary wire from a known ground to the bars for verification.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Seth

Post by Seth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 am

DaveO430 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am
Normally the wiring all connects in the headlight housing. If you have power to the switch it comes from the flasher, not to it, then goes out via the orange (left) and light blue (right). Follow the harness from the switch to find those, they should plug into the same color somewhere in the mess. The orange/white and blue/white are for the front position lights, they should both be hot when the switch is in the middle and go off on the side you move the switch to, I'm guessing you won't be using those.
Thanks for the information. I was hoping to not have to get into the headlight housing. I didn't see an orange or light blue wire coming out of the switch, but I probably didn't inspect it thoroughly. I saw the white striped ones and I guess I assumed they were for the turns. And yes, they did run hot and turn off when I moved the switch. I'll dig into the headlight housing and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

Seth

Post by Seth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 am

redbug wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 am
Also maybe those handle bars may not able to make a ground. Run a temporary wire from a known ground to the bars for verification.
The signals have a ground wire and I simply connected it to a known ground to assure that they weren't relying on the handlebars to complete the circuit. Good thinking though! Sometimes it's the simple things and it's good to troubleshoot all options before you start disassembling everything.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:28 pm

redbug wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 am
There is no ground needed on the handlebars.