Rear drive fill plug broke


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
frodeem
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by frodeem » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:57 pm



Hi,

I just got done filling the rear drive with oil and was screwing the fill plug back in and it just snapped off. Attached pictures will give you a better idea. How do I get the broken piece out of the rear drive?













frodeem
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by frodeem » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:09 pm

I want to buy a new plug for it. Is number 1 the right item?




User avatar
Stew
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Smokey Point, WA - USA
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by Stew » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Can you carefully cut a couple of opposing notches inside it with something like a Dremel cutoff disc and then find something wide and flat enough to unscrew it out of there kinda like a big screw? There's not much material there to make notches without gouging the case though.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

frodeem
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by frodeem » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Stew wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm
Can you carefully cut a couple of opposing notches inside it with something like a Dremel cutoff disc and then find something wide and flat enough to unscrew it out of there kinda like a big screw? There's not much material there to make notches without gouging the case though.
I am afraid if I try to cut it some metal shavings might get inside the rear drive.

User avatar
Stew
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Smokey Point, WA - USA
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by Stew » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:35 pm

No, cut notches at the red areas, be careful to not cut into the threads on the case, and then unscrew it with something that fits in there. That won't let shavings get into the case but will be delicate work for sure.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you're saying, the part stuck in is open. Can you use a small chisel and with a hammer tap it around an unscrew it? If the threads aren't holding on tight enough it might work.


Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

User avatar
Stew
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Smokey Point, WA - USA
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by Stew » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Actually the best way would be using the right tool for the job. These type of screw extractors have saved my bacon a few times, just lightly tap it in and unscrew the darn thing.


Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

frodeem
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by frodeem » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Stew wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 pm
Actually the best way would be using the right tool for the job. These type of screw extractors have saved my bacon a few times, just lightly tap it in and unscrew the darn thing.
img_1775.jpg
I will have to check Home Depot for one that would fit. It is quite big so I am not sure about that.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19309
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 pm

I've never seen a screw extractor that big!

Yes, #1 in your diagram is the correct part, and they are readily available, as Honda used them on MANY different bikes. Don't forget the O-ring, part 34 on your diagram.

As for extracting it, I agree, filing would run the risk of getting metal in the final drive, which you do NOT want. Even so, I would probably be tempted to flush and change the gear oil now. It's not going to be in there tight, as the part that would cause it to be tight has broken off. I would just take a pair of needle-nose pliers, open the pliers up so each tip is contacting the broken part of the cover, and rotate counterclockwise to screw it out. Once it's a few threads out, you should probably be able to do it the rest of the way with your fingers.

User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by DenverWinger » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:37 am

Do they make "Easy-Out"s that big?
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

frodeem
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by frodeem » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:08 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 pm
I've never seen a screw extractor that big!

Yes, #1 in your diagram is the correct part, and they are readily available, as Honda used them on MANY different bikes. Don't forget the O-ring, part 34 on your diagram.

As for extracting it, I agree, filing would run the risk of getting metal in the final drive, which you do NOT want. Even so, I would probably be tempted to flush and change the gear oil now. It's not going to be in there tight, as the part that would cause it to be tight has broken off. I would just take a pair of needle-nose pliers, open the pliers up so each tip is contacting the broken part of the cover, and rotate counterclockwise to screw it out. Once it's a few threads out, you should probably be able to do it the rest of the way with your fingers.
Yeah this way seems to be the way to go, I will let y'all know how it goes.

frodeem
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by frodeem » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:36 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:37 am
Do they make "Easy-Out"s that big?
i doubt it

frodeem
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by frodeem » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Got it out. I used a 90 degree dental pick to get it out. It was quite easy actually. Thanks everyone.






User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19309
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm

That's a classic overstress fracture. Someone cranked that thing in there TIGHT at some point.

User avatar
Stew
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Smokey Point, WA - USA
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by Stew » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Good deal. Yeah I didn't think about those extractors only going so big...
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Rear drive fill plug broke

Post by dingdong » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 am

When you install the new plug remember there should be an oring seal on there. Be sure to order one. So it doesn't need to be torqued at all, just tight enough to seal.


Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Reply