Slight Hesitation Under Load in Gears 3/4

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Eengers
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Slight Hesitation Under Load in Gears 3/4

Post by Eengers »

Good morning,
First time posting here as I'm a new member. Quick question of an issue I've been experiencing the last couple days on my '82 interstate. Usually on a hot day, when accelerating and I hit 3rd and 4th gear, there is a slight Hesitation/miss that happens about 3k rpm. Anything above or below that and it runs fine, even 75 mph on the highway. Carbs were professionally rebuilt about 1200 miles ago so I'm ruling them out. The fuel filter also isn't full sometimes when this happens. I replaced it today to eliminate it. I also cleaned up the gas cap really well to make sure it vented well. I will ride it again this weekend when it gets good and hot out to see if I can get it to act up again. Should this be a concern? Just don't want to be broke down on the highway or elsewhere. Thanks.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Slight Hesitation Under Load in Gears 3/4

Post by DenverWinger »

First off, Welcome to the site! :D Lots of good help around here!

Fuel filter usually won't look "full" unless it's plugged, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm not afraid to work on a carburetor but not an expert, either. My $.02 thinks if carburetor problem maybe sticky slides or faulty accel pump, but I'll defer to the experts on this one. And if it has been fine up to now since the rebuild most likely not carburetors anyway.

This is a 36 yr old bike, and at this age ignition troubles begin to show up. Weak coils, leaky sparkplug wires and caps. This most often manifests itself under hard acceleration, especially high revs.

When it's dark out, start the bike and look for any blue sparks jumping around the coils, jumping off the sparkplug wires somewhere, or between the sparkplug caps and the cylinder head. Use a spray bottle and wet down the coils, wires and caps with engine running and look for sparking, or the engine suddenly missing on one or more cyl.

You can check for a weak coil by disconnecting a sparkplug wire, put a spare sparkplug in the wire and start the engine. You should be able to jump a spark from the spare sparkplug to the block at least a half inch. Try this on all four cylinders.

At any rate, don't be afraid to ride her, this doesn't sound to me to be anything that would leave you stranded.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Eengers
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Slight Hesitation Under Load in Gears 3/4

Post by Eengers »

Thanks for the welcome. I should've noted that I also did the neon coil swap a couple years ago and put a new coil pack in this last year. However I'll look at it at night to see if I can see any spark jumping around. Better to be safe than sorry, thanks again for the advice.