Frame question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wessel81
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Frame question

Post by Wessel81 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi,

So I'm still working on my GL1100. From some initial ideas about doing some TLC it now slowly turns into a full blown restoration project.

Last weeks I have been working on dismantling everything from the frame. Only the steering head is now left on the frame, this will also be dismantled for the bearing replacement as soon as I got the right socket in. Next I will have to make a decision on powdercoating the frame (including some welding by-the-way) or just painting it myself with rust prevention, primer and paint.

But before that.... I noticed that the "stopper" for the steer (so where your steering stem bumps into when turn the steer too far left or right, I don't know the exact English term) is different on the left and right side of the bike. Left it is straight down, and right it bends away, like it has been bent actually. Is this supposed to be like this, or did the p.o. something I cannot imagine? Or has it to do something with parking your bike on the sidestand and turning your steer?

I am curious how this is on your bikes.

Tx Wessel

Wessel81

Re: Frame question

Post by Wessel81 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Just took another look, definitely looks bent. Probably the bike was dropped at some time, and the steer was turned right and forced, however strange that the frame then bends at this place which looks very solid. I would expect the steer itself to bend in such a case, being less solid.

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:47 pm

It's bent. Just looked at my parts frame, and that bit is the same side to side. Plus there is a plastic cover over the whole. If that is missing or cracked, I'd say definite crash damage.

Cosmo

Wessel81

Post by Wessel81 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:32 am

Hi Cosmo,

Thanks for your reply, the plastic cover was ok. Will indeed be some kind of damage, will check the frame tonight, check if it is straight as far as I can do that with my tools.

If they did no take of the cover while repairing, they might even not have noticed it was bent.

Thanks, Wessel