New headlights

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
had24get
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

New headlights

Post by had24get »

First post here on the forum but I've been lurking about trying to learn about my bike for the last year and a half.
Due to previous owners neglect, and my initial inexperience and lack of physical preparedness my fairing has developed some crazy looking cracks and I had to take it off, at least for the foreseeable future.
I purchased a no brand Chinese universal headlight bucket and mounted it to the front of the bike, but after researching I now know that I need a ballast to convert the voltage in order for it to function properly as the light is LED. I work with a bunch of mechanics but they don't know much about bikes and this kind of thing so I'm hoping there's a few experts in here who can help me out on finding a good setup to get everything working.
Currently its my daily driver, I've no other vehicles other then my shoes to get to work, and being that I get off between 11pm and 2am I really need to get this thing going. Riding down the highway in the dead of night isn't very fun, and my "temporary headlight" isn't going to cut it.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: New headlights

Post by roadwanderer2 »

Hey Had2, First let me welcome you to our forum. Im sure you'll find the people here very friendly and quite knowledgeable. With that said, here's something you might want to look into......https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Round-Diamon ... xyn9BRcUEI

I had an 83 aspencade that had the headlight fading out and it wasn't throwing a lot of light down the road in front of me, so i replaced the old light bezel AND the H4 bulb WITHOUT needing to replace or upgrade a ballast. what a difference in the light onto the road, in fact it was so bright, i had to readjust the aim of the headlight lower because it would shine into oncoming traffic and it was on LOW beam lol. The page shows that it fits a Harley's, but it also fits onto the Honda's. Just remove the old lamp housing and bulb from the bucket and replace it with the new one.

Stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2
had24get

Post by had24get »

Thanks for the warm welcome roadwanderer.
My issue is I had to completely remove my fairing, so there's no headlight bucket to attach anything to. I had to buy a universal mount kit and stick it directly on my forks. I might have to keep looking I guess for an H4 kit instead, but I would have wasted 40 bucks and the last month waiting for the LED one I purchased to arrive.
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

Good morning Had2. I see by your location your also in Tucson AZ as am I. What part of Tucson are you in? Maybe we can meet up somewhere and i can take a look at what your dealing with so i can make "recommendations" as to what you need to do.

My next question is, did you remove the square black weight that was behind the fairing? When you remove the fairing you must also remove the weight that sits right behind it. If you pvt message me, i'll give you my phone number so we can set up a day and time for me to come take a look at your bike.

Keep me posted,

Stuart.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

LED headlights do not need a ballast. They are designed to accept 12-15 volts and do the conversion internally for whatever their LEDs require. HID lights are different, they require a ballast, but that ballast is supplied with the HID bulbs, as the ballast is normally unique to the type of bulb being used.
had24get

Post by had24get »

Hmm, that's good/new information. I was under the impression that the reason why the lights weren't functioning was due to the lack of ballast after lots of googlefu, but I think I must have misinterpreted something important.
Also, I did indeed remove the counterweight, I had it on only until I had the "headlight bucket" that came with the new set I purchased. I haven't noticed much difference in handling since taking it off, but I also have not taken any trips longer then work and back, maybe Sunday I'll see what it is about.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

had24get wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:54 am Hmm, that's good/new information. I was under the impression that the reason why the lights weren't functioning was due to the lack of ballast after lots of googlefu, but I think I must have misinterpreted something important.
Also, I did indeed remove the counterweight, I had it on only until I had the "headlight bucket" that came with the new set I purchased. I haven't noticed much difference in handling since taking it off, but I also have not taken any trips longer then work and back, maybe Sunday I'll see what it is about.
The GL1000 had the headlight hanging out there providing mass to help with dampening against wobbles. When the GL1100 came out with the fairing, there was no longer a headlight bucket providing this dampening, so instead they hung a heavy cast iron weight in its place.

If you are putting a headlight there instead, then you no longer need that weight.
had24get

Post by had24get »

Yeah, I still get wobbles at uhmm, higher then intelligent speeds. But it seems to be just as easy to maneuver with the headlight now.
Just gotta get it working.