Overheating, below pressure, and what the fork?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Goldskooler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Overheating, below pressure, and what the fork?

Post by Goldskooler »

Apologies,for an extra long post. My gl1100 constant project I've had for a while. It also has a sidecar, which makes riding a lot more interesting. Even though there is a lot of power from the lower and mid range, getting upto 55mph and above is a lot of work, and it seems only downhill with a breeze will let me finally slip into OD comfortably.

I've fixed and repaired quite a lot, electrics, cables, rebuilds for brakes, general maintenance, thermostats etc. But it is getting to the point where I'm just constantly wrenching to fix one thing, then only to fix another.

Right now:

Front fork (Right)is leaking. This only occurred after I stupidly got curious, about the air compressor. And tried to increase the pressure from 2 bar to 3. This just resulted in the reading dropping to 1 and just sits there, same with the rear. I ensured that none of the hoses where kinked, and there is pressure out from the compressor, which then runs into a small manifold (With I suspect a pressure sensor??). Could this affect the fork seal if the bike is not set at the right pressure?

Thermostat. Bike was slowly getting hot, and staying hot, even with good airflow at 50mph. Temp gauge, would sit about one notch from maximum (It's a digital dash). Drained the system. Green coolant looked clean, with no bad odour to it. Took out radiator, hoses, etc. Thermostat looked new. Put it in a pan of boiling water, and it opened up.

Reassembled, using Honda seals, where necessary. In order to remove the radiator, I had to remove the bottom hose, and just the housing at the front of the water pump. Noted that the impeller blades where metal. So it has been done / serviced before. when I put everything back together, I filled with Blue type 2 (Recommended coolant). After 6 days of leaving it sit, the coolant is now dripping from the weep hole. Can the new coolant, mixing with the old cause this?

Also did a quick oil change. Although thick and jet black, there is no evidence of foaming, sludge, thinner fluid, or a lighter colour. So thankfully the head gaskets or block should be good. For now?

Just wondering what to do next. Even when it's running, I've got this nagging thought "What will be next??". and I suspect it willbe out of my skill range or capabilities.

I'm going to have a break from it, and make a decision soon. I probably will let it go for a lot less than I paid for it, but thats the nature of these things.

Pfft.

Jaime

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Overheating, below pressure, and what the fork?

Post by RBGERSON »

Big leak for oil = air leak maybe that's youir issue there.

At what temp did the thermo start to open shoudl be about 195 or so, did it open all the way??..

Weeping is bad o ring or bearings, see pics That the elbow off.it will drian..try to wiggle the impeller if it moves at all lt/right/up/down bearings shot..metal doesn't mean new Honda went to metal well before 1983.

Max out at 50 you have other issues..have you checked your plugs, are all the pipes hot?? can you pull one plug wire and it doesn't seem to effect the engine running??? I'd say one dead cylinder maybe???

green oil blue water
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Goldskooler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Overheating, below pressure, and what the fork?

Post by Goldskooler »

Thank you, for a quick reply.

I was under the impression, the original water pump, had plastic blades, so metal could suggest, it's been looked at before. However, I've been wrong about a lot.

The only thing I checked, on the blades was to ensure the pump was engaged. It was, but the front cap that the bottom hose connects to, was left off for about a week, leaving the impeller exposed. That might of caused an issue

Air leak for the forks, makes sense. Tracking it down will take time.

The original thermostat opened up, just before the water boiled in the pan. I've replaced with a new one, new seals, checked hoses, which look fairly new. No cracks or leaks.

As for a dead cylinder, hmmmnn.. not thought of that. That's a quick fix.. relatively.

Thanks again