Wiring on a 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mrfreeze
Motorcycle: 1983 GL100I Interstate

Wiring on a 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by mrfreeze »

Hi everyone so i posted before and did not really get much feedback so i Will try again. Here goes.

I have stripped down my Aspencade and doing the whole cafe thing with it. all the wires in the front of the bike really do not make too much sense. I have a working headlight and tail light. I found the wires for the front turn signals and tried what i read on here to get them to work no dice wires got really hot and i shut it down. I have the original digital dash i have disconnected a couple of the plugs and the bike still runs..WOOHOO. now the big question is what wires can i get rid of in the front of the bike to get just headlight blinkers and rear light with brake and turn signals? or am i just S.O.L. and have to have that mess of wires I cant hid very well. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks MrFreeze..

Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Re: Wiring on a 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Joneszy »

I went a different direction and replaced the lcd digital pod with gauges from an 82 aspencade. In doing so I used the attached wiring diagrams to try trace wires and their purpose. I know the diagrams are hard to read but do increase in size without losing all resolution. I stripped my 83 aspencade but wanted to end up with a bike that was as close to a standard as I could get.

mrfreeze

Post by mrfreeze »

thank you very much. How did yours turn out? and was it a lot of work to do it? Meaning did you have to change the front wheel with a standard wheel for the speedometer? everything i have read says its a nightmare to get rid of the digital and go analog.
Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Post by Joneszy »

I have a tread on stripping my 83 Aspencade posted on the NGWclub.com site (Naked Gold Wing). Lists all the changes necessary to get her looking like a standard. You wouldn't be concerned with a lot of the changes but the gauges entailed, new mechanical speedo cable from an 83 standard (no wheel change),new fuel pump/ mechanical tach drive unit from a standard (I used one off an 82 Aspy),new triple tree top bracket (the one on the 83 aspy did not line up for the new ignition switch)Took the green wire from the digital send harness for the gear position lcd on the 83 and connected that to the neutral indicator on the now 82 analogue gauges and abandoned the other five wires located on the right side front frame member, Connected the speed sensor wire to the 82 gauges as the sender on the front axle of the 83 digital speedo was abandoned and so on. Read the thread and I think you'll get a better handle on the steps necessary to convert. The thread is here:
https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64791
mrfreeze

Post by mrfreeze »

thank you for the info