Water in oil

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
halcombrick
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Water in oil

Post by halcombrick »

Hey guys,(1982 gl1100 interstate 110k) been a long time since I've been on, in the summer I had a blowout at 80 mph and ended up with a shattered foot a concussion and a small brain bleed. My bike sat for about 6 months and very heavy rain got into the air filter and got past the carbs. I didn't know this until I had healed up and had started it. It was idling smooth as silk just smoking a little on the right side. I took this as moisture and began to review it up. At about 2500 rpms I started hearing a sound that I thought was like a bearing getting low on lube, the smoke was not very bad and I shut it off immediately. I looked in my oil sight plug and my oil looked like coffee with cream in it. What am I looking at? I can't rebuild it, that's out of the question, so obviously I gotta drain the water and oil, but what other things should I do before restarting. Thanks very much in advance guys. Rick.

Rick, 82 GL1100 Interstate
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Water in oil

Post by DenverWinger »

Kinda sounds like the water probably got in thru the crankcase vent that goes to the air cleaner, though it defies me to understand how rain got in the air cleaner.

At any rate, since it already ran, doesn't sound like you'll need to do anything to carbs or fuel system.

You need to get that soup out of the engine, so drain the oil, and oil filter. Unfortunately, there will be about a half quart of that soup in the back of the engine that does not drain.

I'd get a new oil filter, four quarts of your favorite oil and eight quarts of the very cheapest oil you can find.

We'll simply re-use the old oil filter for the first operation, replace filter, fill engine with 4 quarts cheap oil. You need to run it a couple mins to mix the cheap oil into the remaining water-oil soup that didn't drain out. Might not hurt to have bike on center stand with transmission in-gear to aid in the mixing. This will dilute that soup by something like 1:8.

Stop, drain oil and filter and repeat, again re-using the old filter and the other four quarts of cheap oil. You can run the bike longer this oil change, the soup is diluted to more like 1:64, maybe ride it around the neighborhood a little and mix the oil real good. Listen for knocking, with any luck you had shut the engine down with water in it before any real damage was done.

Then change the oil again, this time with the new filter and the good oil and you should be good to go.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

How did the water get in there?
I had a similar problem.Seems that the shelter lid has a channel that directs water directly to the air cleaner top..Get enough rain with the bike standing still and it will accumulate on the air cleaner top and funnel into the carb intake.
Mine stood on the centerstand in 2 days of moderate heavy rain..filled 1 cylinder full of water and hydrolocked it.
You may want to look at the new oil change everyday you ride..That moisture in the engine will take a while to get out.
I had 5 oil changes before my flooded bike cleaned up.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I highly suggest, that with each of the above steps, that you pour in a 1/2 can of Seafoam to the oil.

it is specifically made to pull water out of oil / gas, and is much more efficient that just trying to dilute the soup.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc