Engine temp issues after pump replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
johnWK
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Streetfighter

Engine temp issues after pump replacement

Post by johnWK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:46 am

Just finished replacing my GL1100A's original waterpump with an OEM metal new one. Got everything torqued correctly, and buttoned her back up with a new lower radiator hose. Happy to be back riding after nearly 2 months of 4 wheeled monotony, even in the sub-40 degree weather here!

The steady drip of coolant/oil from the pump weep hole has ceased, making me a very happy man. I know I didn't get the bottom radiator hose as long as it needed to be, which I planned on redoing once Spring comes around and I don't mind being in the garage for hours at a time. It's long enough that I was able to clamp it over the pump housing/radiator connection, and I believe I clamped both ends far enough up over the mouths of the connections.

When the bike is running, it doesn't leak a bit. However, when sitting in the garage in the cold overnight, the hose leaks ever so slightly. I have also noticed my engine temp climbing to higher than *normal* temperatures when idling, barely over halfway up the gauge, which I don't think I ever saw it do before my pump replacement. The fan cycles on as it should, and pushes the temperature back down to where it should be, but it raises up again fairly quickly. At speed, the temperature sits exactly where it should be.

I've done a little reading, and I'm thinking my issue might be air trapped in my cooling system. I was so excited to have the bike back on the road that I know I rushed the filling job, put the cap back on, and started her up. It's been losing a small amount of coolant, but the resevoir tank is still sitting at the full line where I had it when I put her back together. Curious as to what some of you think my next step should be. Should I drain the coolant and then fill it back up the slow and steady way? Or does what I've described point more to an issue with the hose/pump?

memento mori

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Engine temp issues after pump replacement

Post by DaveO430 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:57 am

johnWK wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:46 am

When the bike is running, it doesn't leak a bit. However, when sitting in the garage in the cold overnight, the hose leaks ever so slightly. I have also noticed my engine temp climbing to higher than *normal* temperatures when idling, barely over halfway up the gauge, which I don't think I ever saw it do before my pump replacement. The fan cycles on as it should, and pushes the temperature back down to where it should be, but it raises up again fairly quickly. At speed, the temperature sits exactly where it should be.

It's not broke, quit fixing it.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:27 am

No need to drain/refill, any air bubbles in the system will work their way to the top of the radiator on their own, and will be replenished by the reservoir when the engine cools, provided the radiator cap is working correctly and there's no leaks anywhere in the coolant return tube (can suck air instead of coolant).

To confirm this just pull the radiator cap on a cold engine, radiator should be full all the way to the cap (minus any overnight drip).

Possible a previously "Stuck Open" thermostat decided to start working correctly, thus the fast warm-up.

Sounds to me things are working as they should..........
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

johnWK
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Streetfighter

Post by johnWK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:56 am

Sounds like I may once again have been seeing a problem when there wasn’t one. Just seemed odd to me that I had never seen my gauge get that far up, if I remember correctly. I’ll leave it and let it be for now, and replace the hose when the weather permits.

So grateful for all the DIY articles and the combined living knowledge and history on this website. Followed the water pump thread step by step and had her buttoned back up in less than 2 days. Would've been done even faster but getting that 36 year old gasket off the face of the engine was...unenjoyable, to say the least. One day I'll buy a decent lift.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just like to give you guys the most detail I can so you can hopefully pinpoint the exact moment I messed things up.
memento mori

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 pm

You do not need to be sorry for the details. It helps all of us to try and help you.

With the new pump your engine is probably running more efficient and the meter is showing this.

Put some white talcum powder over the area you think the leaks is coming from after the engine is hot. Leave it overnight and in the morn look at the talcum powder. If leaking there will be a trail leading to where the leak is occurring.