GL1100 Carburetor Parts

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
randall_l_davis
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100I Interstate

GL1100 Carburetor Parts

Post by randall_l_davis » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Hello all. I have a 1983 GL1100I and I am still rebuilding/reconditioning/restoring my dad’s old bike. I’m almost done with the carbs but I think I may be missing these brass knock pins that connect the plenums of the carbs. They are little brass cylinders that go in little holes where the plenums connect. I don’t know if I am missing one or if it’s supposed to be missing but there is one that is not where there is a hole for one. I can not locate these anywhere online and I was wondering if there was someone out there that had some extras that wanted to sell them. The part number is: 16178-463-004. I could just buy a used carb assy for parts but that would be more than I would want to spend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

16178-463-004
16178-463-004

chief771
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing GL1100

Re: GL1100 Carburetor Parts

Post by chief771 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Good evening!
Did you find the pins you are looking for? I have a set of junk carbs and would be happy to send you the pins off those. Just send me a self addressed shipping envelope and I will send them to you. No charge. Just happy to help out.
Message me if that works for you.

Kevin
Where ever you go, That's where you are.
Chief771
Kevin

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:17 am

:D you’re awesome! That would work great! That is the last piece of the carb puzzle that I needed so I can put the carbs back on and reinstall the gas tank, fuel lines, filter, and crank her up! Where do I need to send the envelope?

Randy

chief771

Post by chief771 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:23 am

Send it to Kevin Hagen, 90720 state highway 251, Austin, mn 55912. I will dig the parts out tonight when I get home and send you a pic to make sure they are correct. Glad I could help!!
Kevin
Chief771
Kevin

chief771

Post by chief771 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Here is a pic of the metal dowels. One of them has some damage but with some emory cloth you should be able to smother it out. There is just the two on this carb. Let me know if you need anything else.
Kevin

C
C

Chief771
Kevin

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Looks right. I’ll know when I get them. If it doesn’t work, then I’m only out $1. No worries. And it’s the effort that’s worth it anyway. And I appreciate it. In the meantime, I will try the local Honda dealership to see if they can procure some just in case. That was my next place to check. Really don’t want to go that route because I’ll most definitely get overcharged. Thank you again for your help. I’ll send the envelope tomorrow.

Randy

chief771

Post by chief771 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 pm

I got your letter in the mail today. I put the parts in the mail so hopefully you will get them in a few days. Hope it all goes together well!
Chief771
Kevin

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Again...thank you. I will let you know once the envelope arrives!!

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Good Afternoon! I just wanted to let you know that I received the envelope. Obviously, someone at the USPS decided that they wanted the parts more than I did. The envelope was ripped on the bottom left corner and there are no parts inside that I can see. I haven't actually opened up the envelope because I figure that I can feel the parts through paper. I am on hold now with the USPS to give them a piece of my mind! Thank you for doing what you did! I can even see that there is some bubble wrap inside. I think that someone thought it was valuable and ripped into it and took it out, idk. I'm going to keep trying to locate some of these. My next source was going to be the Cycle World here. They have a parts department. Maybe they can still locate this part. I have already called them and did not have any luck using the part number. Worst-case scenario, I can pull everything out of my garage floor and try to find wherever the piece may have fallen, if it hasn't been vacuumed up already. The only problem with that is that it is scheduled to rain here for the next 2 weeks, I believe. Anyways, I appreciate the effort. I guess I should have sent a prepaid label for a USPS box to ship in. Lesson learned. The Post Office has only 1 job, and they can't even get that right! I will keep you posted on what I find.

Thank you.

Randy

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Well, today is not all bad. I did a general search for Goldwing carburetor parts and came across one on eBay. It was listed as "83 HONDA GOLDWING GL1100 CARB INTAKE MANIFOLD CHAMBER CASE HALF DOWEL GUIDE PINS". Obviously, I was being too accurate for the idiot that listed them without looking up what the part actually was. My OCD, I guess. Anyway, $15 later and free shipping, I should have them by this Saturday??? I'm still pissed at USPS, and I am still on hold with them. Going on 1:10:14 by the timer on my phone. I think I may end up hanging up since they will close in less than 11 minutes. Thanks again.

Randy

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:59 pm

USPS was worthless, even after the long hold time. Basically, I should not have sent them via envelope because obviously, the machine will rip open and yank out any materials that are inside. They said I could fill out a missing mail report and they may be able to find the parts and reship them. I just don't see how they're going to locate those small parts. I will wait until Saturday and see what eBay can bring me. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:30 pm

I use only these 3M envelopes to mail parts - they are practially indestructible, waterproof, and pretty hard to open even by the intended recipient. In the 10+ years I've been using them, I've never had one fail or been ripped apart by USPS machinery:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T ... UTF8&psc=1

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 am

I know now. Lesson learned. The ones that I found on Ebay were sent in an envelope like the one pictured.

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 am

Update: I received the knock pins from Ebay last Friday. I installed them, put the carbs back together, mounted them, reinstalled the fuel tank, fuel lines and filter, uninstalled a new battery and she fired right up. Next task will be to synchronize the carbs. Then off to the biggest stuff. I noticed that my water pump is leaking so I'm going to replace it. I'll try to post a video of me cranking her up with half pipes on.
Here's the link to the video on my YouTube channel. I hope is allowed to post this.

Randy

jaimenv
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 Standard (Naked)
1986 gl1200 Interstate (Barney)

Post by jaimenv » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:32 am

I worked for the USPS for over 17 years as a level 9 mpe mechanic, so I can tell you first hand those parts are gone.
The machines are vacuumed daily and anything that small will disappear in to the vacuum.
Anything put inside a regular envelope has a 99% chance of not making it through the machines without busting out of the envelope due to the speed and sharp turns the letter has to make in the machine.
The larger envelopes do not go in to the machines for obvious reasons thus survive unscathed, for the most part.
The USPS is at fault due to the fact that they want people to mail letters and telling them what can and can't be mailed can affect there mail flow or so they believe.
Yet they are willing to put up with machine down time due to mail jams caused by the same little articles people mail in letters, go figure.

I had to deal with sand from service members (desert shield/storm) sending home. Whenever the price of the stamps go up, people will tape the difference on the envelope. Chocolate candy for valentines in letters, what a mess. Act's of GOD religious paraparnelia, you would not believe how many letter jams Jesus has caused.

You are right when you said that you should have mailed a small box, that would have averted the letter machines. Yet the packages do incur in other dangers O.O but I leave it to your imagination.

The USPS is concerned in volume not quality bottom line.
I worked in a facility here in PR for a short time that their package destruction was so high that they had a package repair station/area. Very shameful disheartening to say the least.

Another thing is they have cut down manpower to ridiculous amounts to save money and even lower quality further, so where there should be 3 people working a machine they have 2 and at times 1.

Yet it is the cheapest mail system for letters that I know, where can you send a letter for less than a dollar from one end of the country to the other or across the ocean.

Hope this gives you a perspective on how to smartly mail stuff in the future.
Jaime
When there is some you don't want none, when there is none you want some :cry: .
You can please some people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time :roll: .
Do what you can, with what you have, while you can ;) .

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:04 am

Yes. Thank you. That was more detail than the lady on the phone told me except that she told me that I could fill out a missing mail form and they would look for the parts. Obviously, I'm a realist and I know that the chances of me getting those small parts back are slim to none. Again, lesson learned and hopefully someone will take heed to this thread and avoid what I didn't. Thanks for the inside information that solidifies what I had already assumed.

Randy

chief771

Post by chief771 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:06 am

Awesome to read about your progress. This whole thing was a great lesson for everybody. Keep up the great work. I am working on small projects now on my wing. This cold and snow sure put a cramp in progress! Oh well, I can get my tank painted and emblems refurbished. Take care and I wish you all the best!!!
Chief771
Kevin

jaimenv
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 Standard (Naked)
1986 gl1200 Interstate (Barney)

Post by jaimenv » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:44 pm

I wanted to mention that you may be able to find a work around part at the local engine machine shop, in the form of head/valve cover alignment dowels.

In my case I needed to replace a front engine water pump cover oil gallery o ring alignment collar for my 86 Inter.
I took the good one and a caliper to the machine shop, the guy there was kind enough to look around in the extra parts bins and found one that had the same outer circumference yet a little too long, no problem.

Hope this helps some one out there.
Jaime
When there is some you don't want none, when there is none you want some :cry: .
You can please some people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time :roll: .
Do what you can, with what you have, while you can ;) .

randall_l_davis

Post by randall_l_davis » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 am

Awesome! Thanks. That was a last chance option: going to a machine shop. I know a guy.... worse case scenario was to buy a parts carb and cannibalize it. I'm glad I'm past that. Working on replacing the water pump and the running belts. Already have the front engine cover off and the water pump removed. Waiting on parts to be delivered. Going to replace the timing belts while I have all of that easy access. I am NOT looking forward to that job.

Randy