Pre Carb Rebuild Questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tigercub
Motorcycle: 1982 gold wing
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Re: Pre Carb Rebuild Questions

Post by tigercub » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks Redbug,
Randakk kit came today, so I'm reading and preparing for the big day.

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am

Im in the middle of it all now and have pulled number 2 and 4 away from the plenum. Stripped both and boiled both for a few hours in my rinkydink Chinese Ultrasonic cleaner. The carbs are quite clean however I am unable to clear the dreaded "slow speed jet" ....the best I can do is insert a fine wire approx 3/4 inch down from the top of the aluminum entrance to the jet. I tested how far all the carbs will let me probe and all are allowing me the same distance down with the wire.

I don't know if I should be able to go right through? as I believe the actual jet is almost 1 inch long which mean I should be able to probe much further down when measuring from the aluminum entrance above the brass jet.
I got desperate and tried an easy-out as per littlebeaver

and was unable to pull out the jet......

Should I be able to probe further< as in right through the jet?

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:34 am

Ok, just great.....I tried again with the easyout and the tip of same broke off in the jet! so now I have a perfectly clean carb with a perfectly plugged SSJet !

now what?

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:53 pm

finally pulled the little devils

made a jig out of wood

Note, I boiled each carb for 10 min then sprayed the jet with WD40 before screwing in the Drywall screw
Attachments

stripped carb
stripped carb

placed in vise
placed in vise

1 inch wood , approx 6 in square with holes drilled to allow the wood to sit supported on casting
1 inch wood , approx 6 in square with holes drilled to allow the wood to sit supported on casting

in the vise and secured
in the vise and secured

c-clamps to hold eveything tight
c-clamps to hold eveything tight

drywall screw with washers reay to screw into jet
drywall screw with washers reay to screw into jet

large prybar used to pull straight out
large prybar used to pull straight out

finally out!
finally out!

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete.
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete.
wing3 : 81 gl1100i frame / 82 gl1100a engine / 81cb900 bits & pieces coming summer of 2019.

Post by winguyjo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 pm

nice job getting it out !
do you still have a broken easy-out to deal with, or does the kit come with new jets ?
by the way, i was having a bad time trying to clean one of those slow jets until i finally did what was suggested to me, bought a high "e" guitar string. it is just the ticket for cleaning out those tiny, longitudinal holes in the slow jets.

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Randakk kit comes with no brass! so I had to reuse all and why I was vexed with removing the pressed in slow idle jets. The one that had the ez-out broken of in ? I had to carefully drill down using a drill press, into the top of the jet while it was still in the carb to remove the tiny broken tip of the tool.

Very disappointed that the Japan make of spiral ez-out broke off trying to remove a brass jet>???? and a ordinary drywall screw did not

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Ok, all done and back together....Now to test the whole she-bang for leaks before installing.

I spread this over a few weeks so it was quite a head game to remember all the steps. In the end, I think I cleaned everything and hopefully didn't miss an "O" ring somewhere. I found the Randakk booklet helpful but not worth the money as I still required info from their website and others (web forums) to complete the job. I have a few suggestions for anyone attempting this. #1 grow long fingernails to help manipulating small parts. #2 each carb needs two receptacles to store parts, one for old parts and one for new parts, number each bin. #3 use a cheap engraving tool to engrave anything and everything. #Boil the carbs to clean and also make removing and installing some of the jets easier.#4 Finally, take lots of photos as you pull things apart, even though I had lots of provided reference photos in Randakk's kit and several manuals, I still referred to my own photos a few times for specific details. Oh, and removing the slow idle jets was the only way I could clear them. Messing around with a dozen different methods and concoctions was not at all successful and wasted days....once out they were easily cleared. I think Randakk should offer two options added to this kit....they source a manufacturer for the rubber bits, it would be nice to source new pressed in jets as well as float needles and seats. I know Honda still offer the needle and seats but I would prefer to buy the whole package along with the rebuild kit.

:oops:

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Be sure carburetors are primed to make it easier on the starter and battery. Quite a education and great advice on the two containers and of course lots of photos. Read three different manuals myself plus the service manual and yes the tips and tricks you must learn as you go. Now go bust her off and give us the news.
" Riding on Tulsa Time "

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm

GL1100 UPDATE!

Ok, so with everything assembled, I did the bench sync the best I could (set of Vacuum gauges is on it’s way) I rigged up a fuel supply and let the gas “fill” the carbs. The gas went in quite nicely until the upturned red fuel line was filled to the brim and no more gas would be taken in. Checking and checking and checking NO LEAKS! Hurray!

fuel tank emptied FULL
fuel tank emptied FULL

So now I try to see if the accelerator pump works to spray gas into each carb…..I worked the throttle linkage and watched each carb throat for some result, nothing! The manual says you may have to prime the pump but doesn’t say how.
I’m pretty sure I have all the parts involved correct and all ports clear, any ideas how to prime the pump?

no leakage
no leakage

linkage
linkage

more linkage, accelerator pump adjusted to 10-12 mm
more linkage, accelerator pump adjusted to 10-12 mm

maybe the fuel pump would be needed to p-u-s-h the fuel into the series of pipes to "prime" the accelerator circuit? any thoughts?

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Recently did my carb rack.
Yes, I had trouble priming the accel pump. I thought it might just be the volume of all the interconnecting passageways to the other carbs. That might have been part of the problem. But I finally took the #3 bowl off again. I revisited clearing the check valve in the top of the diaphragm cavity. The little ball was stuck in there. (can't see it, but it is in the valve body. Pressed into the cap.)
Sprayed more cleaner, verified flow and reassembled.
Held the throttle open and manually stroked the accel pump plunger a bunch of times. All good now.

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Thank you for the response oldguy Glen , I think I shall do the same after draining the bowls.

I found this http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1100-acce ... p-testing/

tomorrows project...... :D

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:36 pm

I know you have but be sure and check/adjust the accelerator pump rod adjustment. To much fuel or more fuel needed than advertised will cause fuel mileage to drop . standing by...
" Riding on Tulsa Time "

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am

update.... I followed http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1100-acce ... p-testing/ after draining the gas out of all the bowls. I carefully pulled the #3 bowl and the accelerator pump assembly and went ahead as per link above to flush out the bowl check valve and the check valve in the accelerator pump cover. I had boiled and thought I had blown out these passages, but i didn't confirm via liquid either water or gas.

It surprised me when I inserted the nossil from a can of carb cleaner and there was no reaction....then, all of a sudden "woooooosh"! free movement!

reinstalled and refilled bowles as before and tested, success at all 4 jets!

So, the plan is now to reinstall the whole rack over the Easter weekend...which is appropriate as it hopefully will rise from the dead! :shock:

tigercub
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Happy Easter everyone!
Announcement: the carb rack is still DRY!

not only that, but I have cleaned up the garage for the big event.

I will be installing the newly rebuilt rack on Monday 22nd .

Stay tuned :mrgreen: