windshield

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
tegid
Motorcycle: Goldwing gl1100 1983 with sidecar jeaniel
BMW K75 1985

windshield

Post by tegid »

I wish to replace the windshield on my GL1100. I bought the rig recently and it is the first time I have owned a wing - therefore excuse my lack of knowledge. I attach a photo of the wing bows on. The dimensions I can easily measure are as follows:
The width at the top of the trim (edges) is approximately 61cm
Similarly the height from the top of the trim (centre) to the top of the windshield is 44cm
A reference number would be of great help. I live in France and buying from the US is often ruled out by postage and taxes ! All suggestions would be welcome.
Frank
Attachments

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: windshield

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Where do you want the reference from?
There are different heights for several windshields available.
We will help but we need a little more info for what you are trying to do.
tegid
BMW K75 1985

Post by tegid »

What I want to do is replace the existing windshield with new - the existing has some old stickers and an area where the surface is degraded. Reference number? may be I should have asked for a part number? I can't find any further info about the existing shield - is there a data base of goldwing windshield types?
Frank
Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 GL1000

Post by Good Hondog »

Hi tegid. The best suppliers of windshields were Cee Bailey and Slipstreamer. Cee Bailey unfortunately has stopped production of motorcycle parts and is now not an option. Slipstreamer stocks lots of replacement windshields for all years of GL1100. They offer the following choices:

S-160 Standard clear 20.25 inches tall
S-161 Standard smoke 20.25 inches tall
S-164 Tall clear 22.5 inches tall
S-165 Tall smoke 22.5 inches tall
S-168-C Wraparound clear 26.5 inches tall
S-168-T Wraparound smoke 26.5 inches tall

The measurements are taken from the top center to the bottom center of the windshield with the windshield removed from the bike. If you measure it while it's still in the fairing you'll get 17.75 inches from the top center to the edge of the aluminum garnish moulding indicating it's a 20.25 inch standard already in the bike. That also depends if it's got the original Honda garnish moulding and not an aftermarket one. They're bigger than originals. I reviewed your attached picture and I see someone has already cut down that windshield to a lower height so the specifications I gave you will only be for reference for a new windshield when choosing your replacement. I've already contacted Slipstreamer to find a dealer or distributor in France for you so I'll post a reply as soon as I get one. Good luck.
Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 GL1000

Post by Good Hondog »

Good Hondog wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:51 pm I've already contacted Slipstreamer to find a dealer or distributor in France for you so I'll post a reply as soon as I get one. Good luck.
OK, as promised I got an answer from Slipstreamer today. You can easily get their products in France from any motorcycle dealer or aftermarket independent motorcycle shop that orders items from Parts Europe. I hope you are successful getting a new windshield. Let us know how it turns out when you're done.
tegid
BMW K75 1985

Post by tegid »

Many thanks for your help - I will start the search this evening. I will let you know how things turn out.
Best wishes
Tegid
redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug »

Tegid, What a nice looking rig,at your convenience any other photos of the front end and the tub? Come on show it off a little. Oh by the way ,running the standard smoke windshield, i see over about a inch or so if eyes (5'9') over the shield is your choice.
" Riding on Tulsa Time "
jaimenv
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 Standard (Naked)
1986 gl1200 Interstate (Barney)

I would try using a heat gun

Post by jaimenv »

On the stickers and some penetrating oil to remove the sticker glue.
Then I would try to polish the windshield with plastic headlight lens polish.
Something to do while you wait for the parts.

Jaime
When there is some you don't want none, when there is none you want some :cry: .
You can please some people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time :roll: .
Do what you can, with what you have, while you can ;) .