Restored 1980 goldwing gl1100 standard with vetter fairing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Restored 1980 goldwing gl1100 standard with vetter fairing

Post by f1xrupr »

Im going to try to share a link...

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

My exercise bike is a goldwing.
Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 GL1000

Re: Restored 1980 goldwing gl1100 standard with vetter fairing

Post by Good Hondog »

That's an awesome video! My story is almost exactly the same as yours. I got a junk 1980 Interstate in 2016 and went through it like you did and turned it into a really decent bike, just like you. I really like the oil pressure gauge you put on the side. I dig the rack you fabricated from an original Honda rack, and the sheepskin seat and backrest pad are too cool for words. I love it. Seeing how good your bike turned out just gave me encouragement to get going on mine and do more. Thanks for sharing your video.
f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Re: Restored 1980 goldwing gl1100 standard with vetter fairing

Post by f1xrupr »

Wow, thanks for the nice words, I never expected that...!
I didnt go into much detail. I did want to throw in....I only took about 5/16" off the skirts. Thats really thin down there. I was being so careful not to let the pistons flop all around while working on it. I got the crank and rods all tourqued back in....i was so exited and pleased!...ir had been a nightmare finding bearings and all...and then, while i was sitting back admiring, OH NO, A SMALL LINE....yep, a chip! My heart sunk. I prayed and thought hard! The pistons were vary nice. I just thought I'd mention that I didnt cut the pistons in half or anything. Also, that engine has a square crankshaft, and the pistons run 180 degrees opposed from each other, so it's still ballenced...no vibration.
I must say, if i knew that bike needed that much repair, I'd never baught it. He told me he'd lost the key....!
My exercise bike is a goldwing.