GL1100 radiator/ cooling issues

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
sbaugz
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 standard

GL1100 radiator/ cooling issues

Post by sbaugz »

I am having a problem with a 1983 Aspencade. Its my brother's and I am doing a bobber/ cafe build.
Finally got the bike running well after rebuilding the carbs (twice), and sync'd.

Now, here's some more info. I never really did anything with the radiator during the build. The bike came from a seller who hadn't run it in a while, so I don't really know how it ran before. There was a coolant leak at the two main seals where the plumbing goes over the crankcase. I replaced those seals. Unfortunately, I forgot to add coolant and started the bike about a month ago, let it idle a few minutes, then drove it up and down street for like 2 minutes. I had forgotten I had drained the coolant. realizing the mistake, I topped off the bike with coolant.

Now fast forward to today. I drove the bike around the block for about 5 minutes. Seemed to ride well. The temp gauge didn't seem to budge at all, and I also noticed that the fan never went on. The bike doesn't seem overly hot. The problem is that the radiator was smoking from all over. I didn't see any coolant leakage anywhere, just smoke basically coming from the entire radiator. Again, the bike never seemed to be overly hot at all, just white-ish smoke coming from the radiator.

thoughts?

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: GL1100 radiator/ cooling issues

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Since the bike had been sitting for a while the smoke off the rad is probably dust and everything else that had landed on it.
My temp gauge hardly moves on my bike.
Does your reserve stay at full level? If it does you probably have no problem.
Let the bike running just sit and see if the fan comes on and off, while watching the reserve tank.
tigercub
Motorcycle: 1980 gold wing interstate gone naked
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub »

I have the same issue after finally getting the bike running. It was filled with coolant and after running for about 10 mins the bottom of the rad started "steaming" and I thought I must have a coolant leak. I had previously removed the rad and painted it, flushed it and replaced the hoses and thermostat.
After a few days sitting, it does not leak a drop anywhere so I'm not sure I have a rad leak...

:mrgreen:
tigercub
Motorcycle: 1980 gold wing interstate gone naked
1972 CL350
1968 Triumph TRW250
1954 Triumph Tiger Cub

Post by tigercub »

Ran the bike for about 15 mins today and just a hint of "steam" from the rad, I think it just might be some moisture evaporating off the repainted rad....