Tensioner bolt problem....

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Psycheonabike
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Tensioner bolt problem....

Post by Psycheonabike »

How on earth am I going to get this out?? None of my tools can get a grip on it and the PO had tried and rounded off the edges...

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Tensioner bolt problem....

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Try using a reverse drill bit to get it out.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Vise grips?
Use a punch and hammer at an angle to break it loose, and walk it out. (Search videos for proper technique)
Put a nut on top, then MIG or TIG weld through the hole in the nut. Use standard tools on the nut to remove bolt.
Grind flats of bolt head to fit a smaller socket. Use 6 point and make it so you have to drive the socket on slightly.
Grind a slot in the head and use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it. (A drag link socket is great for this)

Only drill off the head as a last resort. If you are not perfectly aligned you will make it near impossible to get a steel bolt out of aluminum. While it is easy in a milling machine, getting that part into a milling machine will be far from easy. Much better to know your limitations and trailer it to a machine shop where they will pop that bolt out in a mater of minutes, with no harm to anything else.
Psycheonabike

Post by Psycheonabike »

Thanks. Main problem is the frame is in the way so can't get a socket on it... :roll:
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

There are sockets with an external hex you can drive with a wrench. (Front end sockets) You can also use a short piece of 3/8" key stock in a normal socket that you can then drive with a 3/8" or adjustable wrench, if you cannot fit a ratchet in there.
Some of the same methods will apply using an offset box end wrench.
If you clean up the flats with a file, you might also be able to use an open end wrench with a small steel wedge driven between the wrench and the bolt to make it fit tight.

One thing you need to decide is if you are committed to finishing this job or would rather just leave it in running condition. Maybe taking the bike to a repair shop for this job, instead.
The very first thing I would do is cut off the timing belt to make more room, accessibility, and better visibility. But of course then you are all in, and have to finish the job.

Here is a video that does a pretty good job showing the punch or chisel method and the welded nut method.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

As an assist, while using some of the above suggestions.... Remove the other mounting bolt and try rotating the whole idler bracket CCW to help rotate the bolt head itself.
Psycheonabike

Post by Psycheonabike »

OldguyGlen wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:06 am As an assist, while using some of the above suggestions.... Remove the other mounting bolt and try rotating the whole idler bracket CCW to help rotate the bolt head itself.
Good shout. All back together now as concentrating on carbs.... see my next thread for a shocker lol
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Psycheonabike wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:59 pm How on earth am I going to get this out?? None of my tools can get a grip on it and the PO had tried and rounded off the edges...

20190512_110957.jpg
You'll likely need something along these lines:

https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Impact-B ... lp_pl_dp_1

It will bite and grip into the bolt head, you then use an impact wrench to knock it loose and back it out. You can use a regular socket wrench, but an impact wrench is far more effective and quick, and causes the sockets to "bite" into the bolt head better.

You'll also need a new bolt, obviously, once that one is removed.
Psycheonabike

Post by Psycheonabike »

Okaayyyy..... I clearly haven't explained the problem very well. The frame is about an inch in front of the bolt. So..... THERE IS NO WAY TO GET A WRENCH IN THERE WITHOUT RAISING THE ENGINE A FEW INCHES...

Hence my question how can I get it out?
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

rotate the engine to TDC with the cam sprockets / pulley aligned. remove the cam sprocket and belt. this should give you enough room to use a pair of vise grips to remove the bolt. dont rotate engine until the sprocket / pulley is replaced and new belt installed. make sure the tensioner roller is in usable condition. good luck !
Psycheonabike

Post by Psycheonabike »

indianakid wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:51 pm rotate the engine to TDC with the cam sprockets / pulley aligned. remove the cam sprocket and belt. this should give you enough room to use a pair of vise grips to remove the bolt. dont rotate engine until the sprocket / pulley is replaced and new belt installed. make sure the tensioner roller is in usable condition. good luck !
Thanks....thats a plan