The Mystery that is GL1100 Carbs!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Psycheonabike
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

The Mystery that is GL1100 Carbs!

Post by Psycheonabike »

A fairy story to some and a horror story to others :D

I am happy to report that I have my 1982 ticking over nicely.....well...here's what I discovered and a problem that remains...

Those idle jets....THAT is were the problem was all along. Thing is, they won't come out - I am not brave enough to take an extractor to them yet. However, I managed to get a guitar string and some inter-dental brushes on there and after pouring a little cleaner in the top I noticed that carb #4 was allowing the cleaner to flow through but the others were not! More and more cleaning and eventually (no idea how) #3 and # 1 started to allow fluid to freely fall through. Not number 2 however....I tried and tried but no luck.

So now if she is idling away and I pull the plug on #2 nothing happens - pull on any other the others and there is a noticeable difference.

Its like a damn splinter now....bugging me!

I keep hearing you guys talk about 'Seafoam' (I am in the UK and we don't have it here but I could order some) - does this stuff really work or is it like our REDEX here over the pond....?

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: The Mystery that is GL1100 Carbs!

Post by OldguyGlen »

I don't know about UK equivalents to SeaFoam. It is a solvent that you add to gas. Some believe it is a "miracle in a can", while others say it solves some problems but it's NOT a miracle. Sometimes you just have to pull the carbs (again... Ugh) and mechanically clear the passages.
I had success clearing the low jets without removing them (1980 model). I used fine wire to go straight thru the jet itself. Then same effort thru the pilot screw jet all the way to the carb throat. Then, working with a bent wire, from inside the carb throat, clear the 4 very small holes located right where the butterfly contacts the edge of the carb throat. All of these orifices are connected internally, and are essential to good idling. Spraying cleaner/air into any of them should show signs of exiting all the others. Somewhere I found a diagram of this portion of the carbs... but I can't seem to locate it on this computer. If need be, I can look further. So, #2 carb has to be revisited. Good luck.
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

As I said to someone recently, the carbs have to be cleaned and then cleaned and then cleaned again. Preferably followed with a few long sessions in an ultrasonic unit with jewellery (yes, I am in England) cleaner or solvent. Glad you're getting there, though.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
Psycheonabike
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Post by Psycheonabike »

Maz wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:12 pm As I said to someone recently, the carbs have to be cleaned and then cleaned and then cleaned again. Preferably followed with a few long sessions in an ultrasonic unit with jewellery (yes, I am in England) cleaner or solvent. Glad you're getting there, though.
Maz
Yay.....another Briti!!!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Seafoam does help reduce deposits...but the trick is, you have to have fuel (with Seafoam) flowing in the first place in order for it to start working away on the deposits. If a jet is completely plugged, no chemical solvent is going to help, you need mechanical clearing (and I include ultrasonic in that, as essentially it is mechanical).
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Psycheonabike wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:00 pm
Maz wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:12 pm As I said to someone recently, the carbs have to be cleaned and then cleaned and then cleaned again. Preferably followed with a few long sessions in an ultrasonic unit with jewellery (yes, I am in England) cleaner or solvent. Glad you're getting there, though.
Maz

Yay.....another Briti!!!
South East - Kent
Maz

Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!