Hate it when this happens

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
ride dont hide
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 80 CB 750K 68 BSA Royal Star 69 BSA Firebird 69 Triumph Chopper 60 BMW R26 and more.

Hate it when this happens

Post by ride dont hide »

Doing another carb rebuild on an '83. First two carbs went great, third one had to fight a little with the air screw and the fourth WILL NOT COME OUT! Tried all my tricks and now it looks like this. Easy outs, reverse drill bits, heat, pound in a hex head bit etc. but now I am into the threads on the post. Any other tricks for me to attempt?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Hate it when this happens

Post by virgilmobile »

I only see 2 possibilities.
One is to replace the casting.
The other would be to carefully cut the casting around the part.Cut it with a hand saw about 1/8" or 2 mm below the brass.Cut the casting just to the brass..use needle nose and unscrew it.It .ay be worth a try..it's ruined anyways.Looks like you tried everything else and now it's jammed in there good.Dont cut through the brass needle,just the aluminum casting.There may be enough threads left to hold another needle in place.
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: Hate it when this happens

Post by indianakid »

it is not too difficult if you have a mill (or take it to a machine shop / job shop). using another carb with a needle that can be removed so measurements can be made on how deep and what diameters can be drilled. with the carb body clamped on the mill table indicate center of the broken screw. (note the screw axis is parallel to the slide so when clamped on the table the quill is aligned with the axis of the screw so just x and y have to be adjusted to get center). starting with a small end mill (1/8 or 3/16) to clean up a flat area and verify that you are on center and start stepping it out to the minor thread diameter. i have used this procedure many times to remove broken bolts from castings and a couple of years back did exactly this on a lawnmower carb. more for a challenge as a replacement was obtainable and the time i put into it (about 2 hours) was more than what a replacement would have cost but it was fun and it was running in little over 2 hours ! but to try this with a hand drill or a not very rigid drill press set up is asking for problems. the brass screw is very easy to drill but so is the aluminum carb body and with out the positive control of a milling machine you would have to be very skilled and lucky to get it out. Good Luck !!!