Changing Rear Brake Pads 1981

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
HeatherJo1983
Motorcycle: 1981 gL1100

Changing Rear Brake Pads 1981

Post by HeatherJo1983 »

I had an incident and my rear tire locked up, come to find out my brake pad fell between the rotor and caliper bracket and well stopped the tire.
Long story short, I'm okay and I need to put new pads on. I found this bracket just hanging on the inside and I'm not sure where it goes.
Can you please help?
Attachments

ride dont hide
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 80 CB 750K 68 BSA Royal Star 69 BSA Firebird 69 Triumph Chopper 60 BMW R26 and more.

Re: Changing Rear Brake Pads 1981

Post by ride dont hide »

How in the world did a pad fall out? Were both retaining pins there and just not installed correctly? Although bent, this easily presses into the top of the caliper. Remove your front caliper and pads and look at that one for orientation. While you are there PLEASE check to make sure that pad does not do the same thing! Glad you are still with us!!!
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

you should inspect the caliper bracket. on the 81 the pads are held in position in the bracket and there is not enough clearance between the rotor and the bracket for the pad to fit through even with all friction material worn away. i am hoping that the pads were not worn down to the metal. the spring pictured in your post fits in the caliper above the pads and holds them down to keep them from rattling when brakes are not applied. you should determine why the pad came out of position and locked up the rear wheel and correct it before you put the bike back on the road. if it was due to improper assembly the last time the brakes were done i would suggest you inspect the front as locking up of the front wheel would not end well.
Attachments

obtained from bike bandit
obtained from bike bandit

HeatherJo1983

Post by HeatherJo1983 »

I mean I took the caliper off and of course was looking at everything but I have no clue how the pad fell out unless I wore it down to the metal and kept riding which is quite possible because I did not change the pads last year and it was thin enough to get wedged between that bracket and the rotor . (No pad what so ever was left)
But I will be checking it more often I just didn't ride much last year and I'm trying to make my wing naked and I'll enjoy it a lot more this summer! I just wasn't thinking to check it, I wasn't hearing any noise (well that's a lie I was hearing a metal noise but my dad was telling me since I took the bags off that it was just louder than normal so I didn't think anything of it)
But yeah I plan on taking the front one off to check them as well but that clip doesn't sit on top of the pads (its to wide) I'll take the caliper back off and try to put it in the top of the caliper cuz I didn't do that and I couldn't really find anything online showing me what it was (only double piston) and a friend of mine took the caliper off when we loaded the bike in the trailer and brought it home so it was already a part and when I was going to put the new pads on I found that little metal clip just sitting there & I had no clue where it went !
But ty & I am 100% glad that it did not happen when I was going down the interstate at 70mph.
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

could not find a good pic of a '81 but here is one of a '78 single piston caliper very similar to yours showing the spring installed. hope this helps.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

ride dont hide wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:35 pm How in the world did a pad fall out? Were both retaining pins there and just not installed correctly? Although bent, this easily presses into the top of the caliper. Remove your front caliper and pads and look at that one for orientation. While you are there PLEASE check to make sure that pad does not do the same thing! Glad you are still with us!!!
No retaining pins on the 81. They arrived on the 82.

HeatherJo1983

Post by HeatherJo1983 »

Ok tyvm.
I hadn't had any luck either but this should be very helpful .
It's been a part for a couple days in the garage but I will try to get it back together tonight , this bike has always had a slight problem with the brakes but nothing significant until now ...
I've been having the worst luck ever and everything is breaking including my car's I already have a car down and then the bike went down and I need to get the bike up and going because my other car just started leaking gas 🤦‍♀️
indianakid wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:23 pm could not find a good pic of a '81 but here is one of a '78 single piston caliper very similar to yours showing the spring installed. hope this helps.