Please help

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Chitownjohnny
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Please help

Post by Chitownjohnny »

I am at my wit's end. I bought my 81 gl1100 it was running and that was about it. I striped it down to original no after market stuff. The headlight won't come on so I tried and failed to rebuild the start/kill switch. I bought an after market switch that is Identical to original I hooked it up and same result as when I rebuilt the original switch. I turn the key on the brake light now comes on not the rear running light, no headlight, and when I press the button I get a faint click very fair from the selonoid by the battery. It used to start what the heck did I do. Battery is fully charged even on load.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Please help

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Check your 3 ground wires and make sure they are with good contact.
Chitownjohnny
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Re: Please help

Post by Chitownjohnny »

Well I traced the headlight issue to the dimmer switch the horn and turn signals work but not the headlight. The blue and wire coming from the start/kill switch on the right handlebar has power but nothing coming out of the dimmer switch I tried to clean it up to no avail I will have to get a used one somewhere cant find after market. Now to figure out the tail light.