front brake hoses

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
tegid
Motorcycle: Goldwing gl1100 1983 with sidecar jeaniel
BMW K75 1985

front brake hoses

Post by tegid »

GL 1100 1983 with sidecar
This is my first goldwing and I need some advice on front brake hoses. I recently noticed the braking was deteriorating - a quick look at the brake calipers I could see the right hand caliper was blocked solid. I have just stripped, cleaned the caliper and freed up the pistons. (the brake fluid in the cylinders was dirty to say the least) I am now looking at the hose to the RH brake and that looks partially blocked as well. Looking a the age of the Wing I think this is a good time to replace the hoses.
My question is what is the best (easiest) way the get at the hoses and any advice on replacing them would be welcome.
Frank Tegid

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 GL1000

Re: front brake hoses

Post by Good Hondog »

Hi Frank. Go to wezmoto.com and see the brake lines they make for our Goldwings. They are in England, so not far away from you. Upgrading to a set of those would be a good improvement on your rig.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Upgrading the old OEM rubber hoses to new braided stainless brake lines was the single greatest improvement I made to my GL1100. The brakes were transformed from vague and spongy to powerful and razor-sharp.
tegid
Motorcycle: Goldwing gl1100 1983 with sidecar jeaniel
BMW K75 1985

Post by tegid »

And then things got worse!!!!
This is my first wing and my first sidecar. I am now at the very bottom of a learning curve. This morning I thought a quick trip around the block to test the brakes - back brakes gone and only the LH front working. An interesting ride home. I now see I have linked brakes (of all my motorcycles I have never had such sophistication in braking.) and my efforts on the RH caliper yesterday have totally whiped out the back and sidecar brakes.
So I have linked brakes and a sidecar included in the system. I agree that I should replace the whole system -
1. Is there any good documentation about the layout of a linked system on the gl1100 ?
2. Do replacement hose kits exist of the linked system ?

As for the hose to the sidecar - this is going to be a one off and I will have to start pulling things apart to trace the hose and where it is connected. All helpful comments are more than welcome !

Frank