Geabox issue -kicks out of 5th Gear

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bvande
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Geabox issue -kicks out of 5th Gear

Post by bvande »

Hi there
The issue I'm having is that, when I crack the throttle in 5th gear. It will start to stumble and jerk, then kick itself down to 4th gear. Just happens when I lay on it and put high revs to it. It shudders for a second or so and either shifts into 4th, or the engine will catch up to the revs and smoothes out.

The only thing that needs to be done, that I know of for sure is that it needs 2 needles and seat. Now I understand that that might affect the revs and the shudders. But don't know for sure. But if it is the needles and seat why would it kick its self in into 4th gear?

So am I dealing with a needle and seat issue or a clutch issue? If it is a clutch issue how do I fix that. But I have had shifting into 2nd gear and grinding issues too

I am at a loss with this. Will take any... and all advice. First time on a Goldwing and I really like it so far. But I'm at the point where I might get rid of it. Because I cannot trust it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Bob

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Geabox issue -kicks out of 5th Gear

Post by WingAdmin »

If you are sure that you are solidly shifting into 5th, and it CONSISTENTLY pops out of 5th and into 4th when you put load on it, then the problem is most likely going to be worn gear dogs in the transmission. That's often the result of people shifting without bothering to use the clutch.
bvande

Post by bvande »

Thanks WingAdmin
I guess. Anything is possible. I might not have it properly into 5th. Was pretty sure I was there though. But what would cause it to stumble under load ?
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

Does it have an aftermarket heel/toe shifter?
bvande

Post by bvande »

No sir standard shifter