1983 Aspencade emissions storage tank

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
studgarrett
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

1983 Aspencade emissions storage tank

Post by studgarrett »

This is my first post on this forum, so if I have done this in the wrong section I apologize.

I acquired an '83 Aspencade this spring. It is the first motorcycle I have ever sat on, much less ridden - hell of a machine to learn on! The wife coaxed me into it when someone offered it up as a trade for a garden tractor. It is a clean bike and I got it from the second owner who had only purchased it from the original owner 2 years prior.

Anyway, I'm mechanically able to do anything on my wing other than mounting my own tires due to lack of correct equipment. I've ridden around 2,000 miles on it so far and am learning a lot of tips and tricks from this site. Mr. Admin's how-to's are wonderful!

In reading the user's manual and the service manual, there is mention of the emissions system storage tank. The PO had run oil in the bike at the top of the sight glass while on the sidestand, so it was about a half quart over full. I changed the oil and plan on changing air filter this weekend at which time, I will be able to trace lines to and from the air box. This said, I wish to know exactly WHERE on this bike that this collection tank is located. I can't seem to find anything resembling what pictures I have seen that it looks like, so I'm going to venture a guess that the original owner removed it and ran plastic line directly to the ground?

I appreciate any input.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: 1983 Aspencade emissions storage tank

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Here is a pic.

storage tank
storage tank

studgarrett

Post by studgarrett »

Found it, thank you very much! I had been looking around front right side of engine and even left with the false assumption that it would be in the vicinity of the air box. Back left, where I would never look. Thanks again! :D
studgarrett

Post by studgarrett »

So I got around to removing the tank and there was absolutely nothing in it. Yay for me!

I got a new air filter and decided to change it out. I have 2 questions/concerns. First, the old air filter smells like gas and I am wondering is this normal? Second, does the air compressor inlet hose (has what looks something like a squeeze bulb toward the end of it) plug into the filter box somewhere or does it just hang in the false tank compartment? I didn't see anywhere on the filter box where it would connect to.

Also, how long would I expect the engine to run when turning off fuel supply at the petcock? I have been turning it to the off position around 1-2 miles from my destination with the hope that running down the fuel level in the carbs a little bit will keep fuel from leaking into the engine until I go through them and check floats in the offseason. I just want to know how much fuel supply there is with the petcock off so maybe I can gauge if the valve is actually working correctly.

I appreciate everyone's help thus far.