1983 GL1100 fork seal circle clips have broken off ends where removal tool holes should be.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
PhotoDoctor
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard and several GL650s , few GL500s

1983 GL1100 fork seal circle clips have broken off ends where removal tool holes should be.

Post by PhotoDoctor »

I’m working on making a 1983 GL1100 road worthy again. I have cleaned the carbs and replaced all 4 ACV’s and accelerator pump, then synced the carbs. She starts and runs super smooth. So far this bike appears to be unmolested and pretty much appears that a wrench has seldom been on the bike which is good as in we don’t have to repair others mistakes.

But now I have found where others have been before and those others have broken off every single end on the circle clips holding in the fork seals.

Has anyone had this issue before and figured out how to get the clips out?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: 1983 GL1100 fork seal circle clips have broken off ends where removal tool holes should be.

Post by Rambozo »

Some clips do not have holes, but instead have slightly stepped or angled cuts at each end for a different kind of snap ring tool. They can be a pain. Round wire clips also often have square cut ends. Snap-On has a special pick set to work with things like that.
PhotoDoctor

Re: 1983 GL1100 fork seal circle clips have broken off ends where removal tool holes should be.

Post by PhotoDoctor »

One thought I have it to use a dremel tool and cut through the clips in the middle via cutting through the fork leg. This would leave two half pieces that I could pry out and might leave me in the position of needed a good set of lower fork legs.

Another thought is to burn the seals out and maybe I could then get a needle nose vice grip on them.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

I'm sure you can get them out non destructively to the rest of the forks. Circlip picks can get in behind them and then you just walk them out a little at a time. Small watch type screwdrivers can be of help to hold the end from popping back in. Much like taking a tire off with two tire spoons. If there is enough showing you can also just drill two new holes, but you will need to use a carbide drill as snap rings are hardened. Many ways to skin that cat.
PhotoDoctor

Post by PhotoDoctor »

I took my longest round punch and went to the middle of the clip and beat it down as there is a tapper on the down side of the leg only the top side is flat where the clip sits. Once I pushed the middle down I was able to get a flat blade behind it and pry it out. This work on both and was easier than I thought it might be..... although it was some serious pounding.

You are correct there are many ways to skin that cat.

My motto on this type of thing is "All things mechanical must submit to human will".

Thanks