front brake caliper mounting bolts....size?/ supplier source

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DARK-WING
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

front brake caliper mounting bolts....size?/ supplier source

Post by DARK-WING » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 pm

WHERE DID THEY GO!!!????

Okay, I broke a few rules but all of a sudden I had no brake pressure, When i got home I noticed that one of my calipers was hanging by the hose and the other holding on by a few threads of the last mounting bolt. Thank you Lord I survived!!!! Anyways I was wonder if you fellas could help me find the correct size of these bolts and if anyone new a supplier to get new bolts. I have checked ebay and we have a few junk yards here where i know i could find them. I just wanted to see if i could source some new ones. Also are these bolts prone to backing out???? I torqued them when i had everything together. Also I'm going to saftey/lock wire them this time around. Any help would be great. And, thank you everyone who has contributed to this site, without it a lot of us would be lost. SO A BIG THANK YOU TO GOLDWINGDOCS!!!!! ;)

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: front brake caliper mounting bolts....size?/ supplier source

Post by OldguyGlen » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:48 am

Yes, I lost a caliper bolt once. And it's mate was already loose. I believe the PO had loosened them because brakes were known to be bad when I bought it. I failed to double check everything. There are caliper to bracket bolts. And there are bracket to fork bolts.
Take an old one to ACE hardware, or Home Depot. They have metric bolts and gauges to tell you what thread the old one is. I couldn't find a chrome one, so I still have one odd bolt on there but It solved the problem for now. Properly torqued should stay tight, but I'll check 'em seasonally now.

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am

If Ace or HD don't have the bolt you need check around your area and see if you have a specialty fastener shop or a fastenal store near you. Or if you can find an independent Honda shop they may have a bolt laying around and give it to you. Pull one of the other bolts and take it with you. You can try different nuts to fine what size and thread size you need.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

DARK-WING

Post by DARK-WING » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:57 pm

Thanks guys,

Yeah that is what I was thinking..... a fastener shop.They are the mounting bracket to fork bolts. Thank you again for the input. I still want to lock wire them though lol, it put a worry in my head with hanging calipers.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:12 pm

DARK-WING wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:57 pm
Thanks guys,

Yeah that is what I was thinking..... a fastener shop.They are the mounting bracket to fork bolts. Thank you again for the input. I still want to lock wire them though lol, it put a worry in my head with hanging calipers.
If they are torqued properly, they don't need lock wire or thread lock or anything else.

Another thought is perhaps someone over torqued them into the soft aluminum forks, and stripped out the threads in the forks?

DARK-WING

Post by DARK-WING » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:46 pm

I'll have to do some checking..... The wing is on hold for now... relocating..... Thank you guys again for the input. Love this site now that I own a goldwing... It's funny I was so scared of this bike when I got it because the carbs just look daunting.... I was like, " how am I ever going to work on this thing?" Lucky for me the PO included a original manual with the bike and I found this site. Since then her and I have gotten to know each other pretty well. Ride on!!!!