Turn signal come on but doesn't flash

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
steveefer
Motorcycle: 1982 GL100A

Turn signal come on but doesn't flash

Post by steveefer »

Working on restoring my dads 1982 GL1100A. The left turn signal lights up but does not flash. I am in no way a mechanic but can do basic things. Like I just replaced the front headlamp without any problems. It should be noted that the front left indicator turns on..but the rear indicator (part of the saddlebag) turns off..as it is normally lit acting as a brake light). Thoughts on my no flashing problem?
Attachments

studgarrett
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Turn signal come on but doesn't flash

Post by studgarrett »

It is a question of system voltage. When the bike is not running, there is significantly lower voltage/available amperage in the system. While running, the system has enough voltage/amperage for the indicators to flash. I have this issue on mine that when I am doing pre-ride checks, I need to check lights with the engine running or else I get what you describe. If you are running off the battery, perhaps try again with a charger attached?

steveefer

Post by steveefer »

It works occassionally when running but not all the time...and I will check but I am thinking it works while revs are higher but not at idle. I will get back with you. Thanks.

steveefer

Post by steveefer »

Update. I don't think it is voltage. A...just tried it after bike has been sitting for 90 minutes and with just the ignition on (but not the bike) it is flashing normally...plus the right blinker works 100% of the time even when the left isn't. So I don't think it is an issue of voltage. Any other thoughts?

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I bet you lost the ground to the bulb in the saddlebag..... Running light backfeeding thru the turn signal circuit to find ground, when the turn signal comes on the bulb goes dark.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

bgeyer
Motorcycle: 78 GL1000

Post by bgeyer »

I also am having problems with my blinkers staying on. Here's what I have:
With ignition on, both fillaments of front blinkers are lit, and filament on both rear blinkers are lit. When I turn on one of the blinkers, L or R, the only change is that side on the front blinker, the larger filament goes out. Nothing else changes. I replaced the relay, and have a full charge on the battery. Both blinkers are grounded inside the headlight. It worked fine the last time I rode it, but now several months later nada. Help?

THank you,

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

bgeyer wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 pm
With ignition on, both fillaments of front blinkers are lit, and filament on both rear blinkers are lit. When I turn on one of the blinkers, L or R, the only change is that side on the front blinker, the larger filament goes out. Nothing else changes. I replaced the relay, and have a full charge on the battery. Both blinkers are grounded inside the headlight. It worked fine the last time I rode it, but now several months later nada. Help?

THank you,
You replaced the flasher relay?

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

Yes. No change at all.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

bgeyer wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:03 pm
Yes. No change at all.
Did you install a two connector or three connector flasher?

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

It was 2 connector, exactly like the one that was on there. Am I missing a ground somewhere? The only two I could find were part of the wiring for the front two lights.

Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

bgeyer wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 pm

THank you,
Are these OEM blinkers? If so the only time that the rear blinkers should be lit is when they are indeed "blinking" indicating that you are turning. The rear blinkers are a one filament bulb and do not form part of a running light or brake light display. They only act as turn signals. The front blinkers are two filament bulbs and act as running lights when the ignition is turned on with the headlight. When you activate the turn signals the front turn filaments are activated and a brighter filament is displayed to "blink" while the running light filament is turned off. Nor sure they were correct if this was not how they "worked fine".

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

It's crazy right? Everything worked correctly front and back when I rode a few months ago. Now it's crazy. Both TS indicators stay lit ask the time. Both rear indicators stay lit all the time. Both filaments of both front signals stay lit ask the time, UNTIL you activate the TS switch, then the large filament of the front signal goes out.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

everytime i have had turn signals acting "funny", whether on bikes, trailers or truck, it has been a weak ground.
continuity to ground doesn't necessarily mean GOOD ground.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 »

winguyjo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:14 pm
everytime i have had turn signals acting "funny", whether on bikes, trailers or truck, it has been a weak ground.
continuity to ground doesn't necessarily mean GOOD ground.
Exactly what winguyjo said!!! 99.9994% of the time that there is an electrical problem, it is a grounding problem. But then again, 94% of statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

But seriously, follow the grounds, check for GOOD contact. Remember, you'll always have to do the hard things twice, enjoy it both times and it will be funner and more satisfying. Attitude matters. Wings know things. I think they enjoy us scratching out heads sometimes.

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

Thank you all. I will go back again and check them. Am I missing a ground to check somewhere? I know of the battery, and the two connected to the front blinkers.

Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

Should be one under the seat on top of the rear fender. a bullet connector on my 78.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:44 pm
I bet you lost the ground to the bulb in the saddlebag..... Running light backfeeding thru the turn signal circuit to find ground, when the turn signal comes on the bulb goes dark.
Yes. Listen to this man steveefer. almost all lighting problems are caused by something amiss with ground. :!:

I'm not the greatest by any means, but I do enjoy finding solutions to problems like this. It's my job. When someone in our riding club has an electrical issue, many times they contact me because they know I'm cheap. :D

Here is what I would do...disconnect the battery, first the ground, then the hot. You will need a good multi meter with a continuity setting that you know works well.

On each bulb in your blinking/running light system, there is, on the bottom of the socket, either one or two prongs that mate up with the bulb when inserted and turned. Now start with the bulb in the pannier (saddle bag) that is problematic. Remove the bulb. Find a really good ground source on the frame that you can attach one end of your tester to and still reach the bulb with the other. Sometimes the cords are long enough to use the ground cable you removed from the battery, but a lot of times they aren't. That can be a good ground testing source IF the connection from frame to battery cable is clean and tight.

NOW...take the tester and at the base of the bulb socket you removed the bulb from, do you see the either one or two contacts in the base? Those will have power to them at various times when the bike is operating. Carefully probe one of the tiny contact prongs in the base with your meter set to test continuity. Be careful to only touch one of the contacts, and not the other, or the sides of the socket. The sides are where the bulb gets its ground, and if you touch that, you'll get a false continuity reading. After you test the base hot contacts, touch the side of the bulb base and make sure you get a positive continuity reading for good ground.

If you get a continuity reading while touching one of the bulb base contacts, you've found the problem. If you don't get a positive reading for ground while touching the side of the bulb bases, you've found the problem. If you don't find one in the first bulb socket. test all other bulb sockets, whether they have one or two contacts in them until you've tested them all. Test every one in your lighting system. because they are all interconnected to the completed circuit.

You did replace the headlight, and in that process, there may have been something compromised in there. A pinched wire, etc...

If you find a grounded hot feed in one of the bulb bases, post your results here if you don't know what to do next, and we'll all help you get it figured out.

Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

Joneszy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 am
Should be one under the seat on top of the rear fender. a bullet connector on my 78.
Sorry my addled old brain thought I was still on the gl1000 forum. But recall that the turnsignal ground on my 83 aspencade was also under the seat.

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

I found my problem, which led to another problem. The reason my blinkers weren't flashing was because when I apply my brakes, both signal indicators light up, and blinkers quit working. When my brakes are off, the blinkers work as normal, but my brake light flashes through the second filament in its bulb. Help! Lol.

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »

Still missing a ground in the rear lighting, the reason the second filament in the brake bulb lights up is the turn signal power is back-feeding thru the brake light bulb running light circuit to find ground. Same thing when you apply the brake, the brake light filament is finding ground by backfeeding thru the turn signal circuits, that's why the indicators on the dash light up.

~Mark

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

Awesome. I've tried to look at all the wires around the tail light and blinkers, can't find a bare spot anywhere. Any ideas of where to look ? Im lost as a goose, but got all day.
Thank you for the help.

Bill

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »

Look for a green wire going to the rear lighting on the bike, that should be the ground wire. If you measure ohms from that wire to a good ground on the frame should be very nearly 0 ohms (full continuity). Or measure volts on it to ground with turn signal on. If you see voltage, it isn't grounded.

Probably the easiest fix for that would be to splice into it and run the spiced wire to a good ground somewhere.

~Mark

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

Thank you. I found two ground wires with the tail light. Both go to flat connectors, one on the housing with the tail light, and one in the housing on top of the rear fender.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

..." can't find a bare spot anywhere ..."

that's not really what you are looking for (although it's a good idea to repair any bare wires).
you need to remove, thoroughly clean, and re-attach any ground wires (usually green with hondas but previous owners are capable of all kinds of buggery).

bgeyer

Post by bgeyer »

So, I took off the tail light housing, and blinker housing. I removed the second ground wire, and turned everything on and it worked like it should. When I reattached thr blinker and tail light housing, the rear blinkers wouldn't work. When I ran that second ground wire I wound up with the same original problem of brakes shutting blinkers down.
Later... I removed the turn signal housing again, and as long as it wasn't touching the rear fender, it worked fine with the single ground. When I tested it back on the fender, same problem. I also used another wire to act as that second ground, and touched it to the luggage rack, and it blew the fuse.