Radiator cap woes....

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Radiator cap woes....

Post by N2PPN »

OK, it's been a while since I posted...

I decided today after a nice ride in NYC traffic that I should drain, flush and refill my coolant and radiator.....

Not an extensive job, maybe an hour or two if ya drag yore feet and drink some beers whilst the coolant drains and during fill and flush cycles..

Until I remembered my particular issue with the radiator cap on my GL...

A bit of history is required here...

I purchased my GL1100 brand new as a naked bike back in early 1982 as a 1981 left over..

Subsequently I purchased a Hondaline fairing, all the associated hardware and trunk and bags to turn her into an Interstate.

I don't remember if I ever actually replaced the radiator cap on her over the years, but I do remember I always had a hell of a time getting the cap off...

One of the "ears" of the cap always seemed to hit the fairing mount/shelter mounting tube flange when trying to rotate the cap off or on..

Well I had come up with a "workaround" many years ago to grind off one "ear" from the cap and place this flush side on the obstruction side of the radiator cap's travels..

Apparently the last time I had the shelter and fairing off (which was when I believe I wrote the "Project Resurrection from the back of the garage" series of posts, I PUT THE RADIATOR CAP ON

180 DEGREES FROM WHERE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE.....

If you ever want to turn an simple job into a dreaded nightmare, CALL ME... I had to spend the better part of two hours trying to cut off the remaining ear from the old radiator cap...

needless to say, after many cuts, scrapes and bruises, the old cap was able to be removed, radiator was flushed and then refilled, reservoir tank and hoses, flushed and cleaned and new

50/50 peak AF was put into the system....

After a trip to the autoparts store a new 9 LB cap was subjected to the "ear removal" and put back onto the radiator in the correct orientation for future removal...

Sooo, moral of the story is "nothing in life is ever simple"...

(PS as I was doing this my son was replacing the Clutch on his CB 750K and snapped a bolt in the basket post while reassembling the pressure plate, and had to do his own screaming and

yelling to dad over the phone)

Just wanted to share...

Rich

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!