vented rear rotor

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Jonny426f
Motorcycle: '82 Aspencade

vented rear rotor

Post by Jonny426f »

The water pump recently went bad so I dove into some overdue maintenance,brakes being high on the list. I had no problems with the fronts, I surface ground the warped rotors and rebuilt the sticky calipers. The rear caliper was frozen when I first bought the machine so I rebuilt the rear master cylinder and replaced the pads(metal to metal) and got her on the road,so I could verify the engine/trans were OK. Now comes the time when I need to get a rear rotor and the only thing I can find is an EBC drilled solid floating rotor,I assume thinner than the vented factory piece. Has anyone found a source for OEM style vented rotors? I cant find a thickness spec for the EBC's so I'm a little concerned about just slapping one on pumping the pads out farther than designed,and riding away in blissful ignorance...any input from others that have used the solid rotor on a vented bike? Thanks!

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: vented rear rotor

Post by Old Fogey »

The 82 Aspy vented rotor is a one year only, one model only part. NOS parts don't exist and there are no directly equivalent alternatives available. You can fit the standard non-vented disc but you will also need to change the caliper due to the rotor thicness going from 10mm to 7mm.
'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

( Seriously, you haven't read all 115 pages of my http://www.wingovations.com website ?? :shock: )
Jonny426f
Motorcycle: '82 Aspencade

Re: vented rear rotor

Post by Jonny426f »

Thank You OldFogey. I was hoping I'd missed something while searching. Looks like the interstate parts bike will become a donor for a caliper and rotor...