GL1100 Turns over slowly

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
J Runge
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100B

GL1100 Turns over slowly

Post by J Runge »

My wing ones again, are having trouble turning over the engine.

I have given the starter an overhaul, new brushes and a solid cleaning.
While tending to the starter, I charged the battery. First couple of startups was perfect, i barely hat to grace the starterbottum and she was puring. I let her warm up at bit, and turned her off. I went in to put on my gear, so that i could go grosseryshopping and take her for at spin.
It tolk a couple of minuttes, but it was enough to make her start poorly, not cranking so fast and stopping, unless i give a bit of throttle, then she fires up nicely.

Could it be my one year old Battery that is already for retirement?

A little video of me trying to start after i came home, from a 15 minuttes run.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

I hooked the battery up to my big charger and it displayed, that the battery was only 76% charged.

The rectifire delivers 14,2 volt constantly above 2500RPM.

What am i missing?
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: GL1100 Turns over slowly

Post by Rambozo »

I think it's time for a nice AGM battery.
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

You said the battery is only a year old? Do you keep it on a battery tender? To me, it appears that your battery is a little low on acid. you need to fill it up to the top lines, and the post connectors look to be a little on the corroded side. Clean them up with a toothbrush size wire brush or a battery terminal post cleaner. Take it to a parts store and have it "load tested" to see how many volts its putting out under a load. You might want to consider getting a battery with a higher cold cranking amps like I have on my 86 aspy. These older bikes draw a lot of power on start up and a low battery will cause it to crank slowly even with a brand new starter. The battery I have on my bike as over 335cca available. A "decent" battery will cost you around 120 bucks, but worth it, but beware, you have to find one that has a good warranty. Most of the stores will only offer between 90 days and a 1 year warranty. My advise, when your not using the bike, keep it on a battery tender.

Stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

roadwanderer2 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 am You said the battery is only a year old? Do you keep it on a battery tender? To me, it appears that your battery is a little low on acid. you need to fill it up to the top lines, and the post connectors look to be a little on the corroded side. Clean them up with a toothbrush size wire brush or a battery terminal post cleaner. Take it to a parts store and have it "load tested" to see how many volts its putting out under a load. You might want to consider getting a battery with a higher cold cranking amps like I have on my 86 aspy. These older bikes draw a lot of power on start up and a low battery will cause it to crank slowly even with a brand new starter. The battery I have on my bike as over 335cca available. A "decent" battery will cost you around 120 bucks, but worth it, but beware, you have to find one that has a good warranty. Most of the stores will only offer between 90 days and a 1 year warranty. My advise, when your not using the bike, keep it on a battery tender.

All cells are submerged, so topping Up probably would not do much off a difference.
I have not idea how many cca this battery can deliver, I can not Seem to find a datasheet on it.
I have considdered a yuasa battery, it can deliver 260 cca at -18°C.

I ride a least once a week, and none of my previous bikes had these problems.

I think i Will start with a load test, and see how that goes. My best bet is that the battery is done. I Will never buy Delo again. It is my second one, that does not get me All the way through the session. First one was covered by the waranty
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

Rambozo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 am I think it's time for a nice AGM battery.
Does AGM need modified chargingsystem?
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

Check this link. This is the battery I have on my 86 Aspy SEi...........https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/po ... ies&pos=12

Notice the cca on it. These older wings need this kind of power at start up. As long as your stator and Alternator are functioning properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Only drawback is these batteries only last a year and a few months. I strongly recommend getting a battery tender and keeping the battery on it when your not using the bike.

I have this tender wired directly onto my battery...........https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/ba ... nder&pos=4

After not starting my bike up for the last 3 months, with the tender connected, I turned the key on, pressed the starter button and the bike fired right up on the first shot. Im sure my battery would have been dead without it, and my battery is almost 1 1/2 years old.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

J Runge wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:53 am
Rambozo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 am I think it's time for a nice AGM battery.
Nope, just drop it in and be amazed at how well it starts.
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

Rambozo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:31 pm
J Runge wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:53 am
Nope, just drop it in and be amazed at how well it starts.
roadwanderer2 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:23 pm Check this link. This is the battery I have on my 86 Aspy SEi...........https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/po ... ies&pos=12

Notice the cca on it. These older wings need this kind of power at start up. As long as your stator and Alternator are functioning properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Only drawback is these batteries only last a year and a few months. I strongly recommend getting a battery tender and keeping the battery on it when your not using the bike.

I have this tender wired directly onto my battery...........https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/ba ... nder&pos=4

After not starting my bike up for the last 3 months, with the tender connected, I turned the key on, pressed the starter button and the bike fired right up on the first shot. Im sure my battery would have been dead without it, and my battery is almost 1 1/2 years old.

Looks like im going to find myself an agm battery. I have a tender, which I use frequently, but not every time. I drive on a regulally basis, so it should not be nessacery to charge All the time
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

Got some bonus info. I decided to test the acid with my refraktometer. 3 of the cells were below fair. I think it is safe to say, that the battery is junk
roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 »

Yup, that battery is toast. My battery IS an AGM battery, and I plug it into my tender every time I come back from a ride because mine has the onboard computer and trip command which is always on due to the clock running, so its best that mine stays on the tender whenever im not using it. Yours might not need to be on it constantly because yours isn't computerized. Anyways, good luck with your battery hunting, and remember check all the stores for their warranty before you make the purchase.

J Runge

Post by J Runge »

roadwanderer2 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am Yup, that battery is toast. My battery IS an AGM battery, and I plug it into my tender every time I come back from a ride because mine has the onboard computer and trip command which is always on due to the clock running, so its best that mine stays on the tender whenever im not using it. Yours might not need to be on it constantly because yours isn't computerized. Anyways, good luck with your battery hunting, and remember check all the stores for their warranty before you make the purchase.

Thank you very much
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

does any of you have any experience with this battery
https://bs-battery.com/btx20hl-sla-max/
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

That particular battery is physically smaller than original. You need a YTX24HL. I have no knowledge of that brand.
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

Slightly smaller, but more ah an cca.
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

Went by the shop, the terminals didnt fit. I Will keep looking. Probably going to order it online from somewhere
roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 »

Personally, I would not purchase a battery that has less than 320 CCA. These older wings draw so much power at start up than the newer more electronic controlled bikes out there, and thats when you need the extra cranking amperage. You might find that if you do buy one thats less than 300 CCA, you might get slower engine starts and dragging starters which could prematurely burn your stater out and maybe burn out your starter solenoid/fuse or create other damaging electrical problems.

Go for the highest cranking amp battery you can find thats within your budget.

Stuart, a.k.a.roadwanderer2.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

J Runge wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 am Slightly smaller, but more ah an cca.

Just recommending the correct size. There are many good quality AGM batteries that fit that will meet your CCA requirements. Ride safe.
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

dingdong wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 pm
J Runge wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 am Slightly smaller, but more ah an cca.

Just recommending the correct size. There are many good quality AGM batteries that fit that will meet your CCA requirements. Ride safe.
I know, I went by the shop yesterday, and it didn't because the terminals where to close together, due to the slightly smaller battery. In sted I got a EXIDE ETX24HL-BS. Fits perfectly, can't wait to try it
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

Hi
The new exide is great. Have hat some nice rides in december, january and february. Today the family and I went out for a spin, in seach of some dinner. We make a Short pit stop to get directions from our map, and afterwards the MOTH********* Wing barely cranks the engine over. Suddenly IT comes to life and of we go.
We find the restaurant, but it had not openned yet, so er Jump back om the bikes, same struggle, but finally it gives in and starts. We drive around enjoying the scenery for about 45 minutters, and return to the restaurant. A bit worried, I turn off the wing, and we go have our dinner.
After dinner, I approach the teasing bike, it is on its sidestand, handlebars turn all the way to the left. I squint my eyes as I push the starter, and it starts up fine. Hmmmmmm, something fishy is going om, so I Mount the bike turns the bike off, and try again, it wont start, I turn the handlebars all the way to the left, and try again, it fires right up, as i grace the starterbutton.

I suspect I have at faulty Wire, or a bad connection. Any Idea where to start my search????
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

Slow cranking is often from trouble in the power wiring / components like battery, starter motor and heavy cables & connections. But, turning the bars full left would not affect any of that. So, I'm guessing the slow cranking is due to loss of ignition. With no help whatsoever from the plugs, it cranks slow. Turning the bars could affect some wiring connections feeding the ignition modules located on the left side under the shelter. Get a test meter and check for voltages at the modules, and watch closely while you twist the bars left/right. If they are intermittent then start tracing back through the fuse block, switches, and wiring, especially anything that appears to "move" with a twisting of the bars.
J Runge

Post by J Runge »

OldguyGlen wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:59 am Slow cranking is often from trouble in the power wiring / components like battery, starter motor and heavy cables & connections. But, turning the bars full left would not affect any of that. So, I'm guessing the slow cranking is due to loss of ignition. With no help whatsoever from the plugs, it cranks slow. Turning the bars could affect some wiring connections feeding the ignition modules located on the left side under the shelter. Get a test meter and check for voltages at the modules, and watch closely while you twist the bars left/right. If they are intermittent then start tracing back through the fuse block, switches, and wiring, especially anything that appears to "move" with a twisting of the bars.
I Will try that