Purchased a GL1100 interstate and have a few questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Phairomim

Purchased a GL1100 interstate and have a few questions

Post by Phairomim »

I recently bought a 81 GL1100 interstate... it needs work, it had been sitting for about 2 years in a shed with a full tank of gas... so i have idle issues. I have drained most of the old gas and replaced fuel filter and have been running good clean gas w/ a cleaning additive and it seems to be winning the battle. I can now idle (although very rough) at about 1000 rpm. Ya I know i'll probably still have to take the carbs off and redo them but I'm hoping that I can avoid that for alittle bit. One of my questions is this .. I notice when I run the bike and remove the gas cap that there is pressure built up in it... and when I remove that cap and the pressure is relieved.. i get a spike in the rpm's ...I took off the cap totally and tried cleaning it by soaking it in carb cleaner and then blowing it out which seemed to help some.. It's pretty obvious the cap is supposed to be vented, is it worth or possible to clear it out for better ventalation or are there new ones available that would just save me time? Also i see there is some rust in the tank, is there any way of blasting that out .. or again is it not worth the time and i should just look to replace it? I have other questions about the radio as well but I'll post those at another time.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Purchased a GL1100 interstate and have a few questions

Post by DenverWinger »

Get yourself a can of Seafoam, Soaking the gas cap in Seafoam overnight should get it venting correctly again.

Since you are able to get it to idle, add a double-dose of Seafoam to the fuel. This will help clean out the carbs. Seafoam works slowly, it will probably take driving around running thru 3-4 tanks of fuel with Seafoam but should clean up nicely. Extended periods of idling will help clean out idle circuits in the carbs, keep the corner of your eye on engine temperature and make sure the fan cycles on-off. This may save having to do carburetor surgery.

As to the rust in the tank, if not rusted too badly I wouldn't worry about it much, fuel filter will stop little particles. If the tank is heavily rusted there's ways to clean them. Not really worth trying to find another one, these bikes are so old you'll probably just get another rusty tank.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 »

GL1100 - Radiator cap-
Stant 10229 and Stant 11229

Here is links to some handy things to know that are on here:

https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/view ... =11&t=1923

/How-To-Articles-GL1100.asp
shevik
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i

Post by shevik »

Yeah there are ways to coat the inside of a tank with something that will prevent it from rusting. Not too hard a job, getting it in and out is the hard part.

As for the carbs, do consider pulling them and cleaning them. It's not the easiest job but even the least inclined people can do it. The instructional resources available are amazing and once you do it you'll understand your carbs well enough that you wont have to do it again for a very long time. I have a PDF on how to clean them and rebuild them with a Randakks kit, the PDF will save you the cost of a Randakks guide ($30-40). Chances are if your bike is running at all you might not need the rebuild kit either. You never know though. Plus, if a can of seafoam doesn't do it you'll need to pull them anyways. Send me your email in a PM and I'll send the PDF your way. I don't remember where on the web it can be found, I only remember that it took me a week or two of searching until I finally found it burried in some forum thread on a different web site.

Furthermore, if you do decide to pull them you can ask me questions. I finished the process of cleaning and resetting mine (82gl1100) only last week. I couldn't have done it without the people in this community and I should pay it forward.

https://www.randakks.com/randakks-own-g ... kit-1.html
Last edited by shevik on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I just work hard enough I should be able to get her out and about before riding season is over.
shevik
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i

Post by shevik »

Phairomim wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 am I recently bought a 81 GL1100 interstate... it needs work, it had been sitting for about 2 years in a shed with a full tank of gas...
http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a- ... ng-lay-up/

If I just work hard enough I should be able to get her out and about before riding season is over.