1983 Exhaust removal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
johnny42
Motorcycle: sold: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2020 Goldwing Tour 6sp

1983 Exhaust removal

Post by johnny42 »

I need to remove the right side exhaust. Got the bolts off the headers (one stud snapped). Got the 2 bolts off the back (one snapped). Loosened the clamp at the cross-over and moved it to the left side.

Is there another step I'm missing? Is there something at the cross-over I don't know about? If they're stuck there, does anyone have any tips on freeing them? Do I just slide under the bike from the left and use my leg to push the exhaust off? Also, I can't tell from looking but does the front engine guard need to be removed to allow the headers to drop?

Right now I just want to get the exhaust off to do some repairs to it. I'll deal with the snapped bolt and stud later.

Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Re: 1983 Exhaust removal

Post by Joneszy »

On my bike (83 aspencade stripped)the engine guard would have to come off before removing the header. The clamp that holds the header onto the head is fixed to the header pipe and there is one case guard mount that will not let the headers come right off.. Hope that makes sense. The headers are fixed to the head by means of 4 nuts and lock washers and you say you have these off. The clamps attaching the crossover have to be loosened and the mounts attaching the mufflers to the frame have to be removed. It nay take a bit of jiggling etc. to get everything freed so they will pull off as these parts have been cooking for over 35 years. On my 78 I used some PB blaster (rust penetrating oil to help free things up). The manual also says to do this procedure on the center stand and to use new header gaskets when putting everything back together. They are really not too helpful with any other info (Clymers or Honda). Someone else may chime in with better info.
johnny42
2020 Goldwing Tour 6sp

Post by johnny42 »

Thanks Joneszy. I have all the hardware removed, but the pipes don't budge. I'll get some PB Blaster and spray the areas where the hardware was removed. The parts manual shows a small piece within the crossover area (muffler gasket). I'll concentrate on that area with the spray. Will the pipes attached at the head area require some sort of prying to separate?
Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

I am thinking that the headers attached by the 4 nuts and lockwashers should come off fairly easily at least my 78 headers did. Very little force was needed to separate the pipes from the heads, once the nuts were removed. You have to look "up" into the exhaust openings in the heads to see the gaskets I referred to. The are a copper crushable material.I removed the ones from my 78 with small flat screwdriver. I know that some have reused the crush rings but I thought it a small price to pay for new ones once I had everything apart. Ebay is your friend when buying the replacements.
When you are reinstalling your exhaust hang the mufflers etc and don't tighten anything until you do the header to head fitting with the crush gaskets. I can find no torque setting for these but am thinking quite snug when I tighten the nuts on the studs up. These nuts should be checked quite often after the install as the material in the gaskets does not flatten all the way on the first go round. Also make sure to tighten them as you would if you are following a torque setting and pattern.
johnny42
2020 Goldwing Tour 6sp

Post by johnny42 »

Man, it sure doesn't look like there's any washers in there, yet the metal does have a copper color. Is that those? I don't see an easy way to remove them. They've been there for 36 years.
Also, a stud did not break, it simply backed out when I was removing the nut.
I could not get the exhaust off until I removed the bracket where the rear portion of the exhaust attaches. Once I removed that, it came off easily. Also, PB Blaster was my friend. :D
Attachments

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

thats them. you should be able to pick them out with a small screwdriver, or just leave them in and re-use ( risking a small exhaust leak, but it worked for me the first time around), or just put new ones in over top of them.
Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

Yes those are the gaskets I referred to. They are made out of thin tubular copper material that crushes when the nuts are tightened. That is also the reason to recheck the nuts used to mount the headers as they don't often crush flat (like the ones on your bike) until at least the second go round. The ones on your bike will come out quite easily if you take a very thin flat head screw driver and gently tap them and pry them out. The gaskets which were originally round will now be flattened to a thickness of approx 1/16th of an inch. Once you do this you will have to buy new gaskets as the oem ones will be ruined.You can leave the old ones in and hope everything seals up again but I am thinking for the cost of new gaskets it is a no brainer to use new ones now that you have the system taken apart.
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 »

I used a hydrolic jack to separate the cross over joint.