Running off Cylinders 3 and 4

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Fixit_Felix
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Running off Cylinders 3 and 4

Post by Fixit_Felix »

Hello everyone I’ve ran to a stand still on my bike. And need some help! I’ve got fire and fuel on all cylinders, the bike will start with the choke out and run as soon as you push the choke in it will idle way down and die unless you give it throttle. I fire it up hold the throttle at about 3 rpm and pulled the plug wire to 1 no change in running pulled plug 2 still no change, pull 3 and shell start to die and if you pull 4 shell start to die. I’ve swapped the plugs on the two electrical boxes under the fake tank, still not running off 1 and 2, switched coils didn’t make a difference, Even unplugged the CDI box and she’ll still run only on 3 and 4. What else is there I can check.? Thank you for any advise.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Running off Cylinders 3 and 4

Post by Rambozo »

Carb idle circuits plugged.
How is compression?
Fixit_Felix

Post by Fixit_Felix »

Thank you for the response, Ive had to order a new adapter for my compression tester and I’ll be testing this afternoon, as for the carbs how can I test if they are plugged?
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

running only on choke is a pretty good indication that the idle circuits are plugged.
what's the history of this bike ... did the problem arise out of nowhere or is this a bike that has been sitting for a long time ?
Fixit_Felix

Post by Fixit_Felix »

Cylinder 1 cold dry 155PSI hot dry 175PSI
Cylinder 2 cold dry 155PSI Hot dry 175PSI
Cylinder 3 cold dry 150psi HOt dry 175PSI
Cylinder 4 cold dry 148psi. Hot dry 165psi

What is the right compression it should have on the cylinders?
So the back ground on it is that I bought it from my uncle how only road it for about 3 years and parked it in 09 I bought it this past March 2019. I had to shock the tank to get all the rust out changed the fuel filter flushed the coolant system cleaned the carbs put fresh gas in it and some sea foam ran that tank and it ran good other then a little stutter on take off and it would almost cause you to fall over if you where just starting off onto a road and you’d have to feather the throttle to get going so I assumed it was the carbs so I pulled them back out and bought a more expensive kit and put it back together it’d fire up and idle on it’s on still had a slight hesitation around 4 and 5000 rpm but wasn’t as bad, well I parked it for about 2 months or so and I came out to ride about a month ago and it wouldn’t idle I thought it’s getting cold out that’s why so I just keep the feathering the throttle ride to work came home and parked it until this week I went to get it running to ride the Blue Ridge today and wouldn’t run unless I hold the choke out and idle screw is all the way in. And I started testing spark and then I started it and shocked my self a few time letting it run and pulling wires to narrow was cylinder wasn’t firing and found that it’s only running off 3 and 4.
winguyjo
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.

Post by winguyjo »

manufacturerers haven't given out actual compression values for years, but your numbers are excellent ...no worries there.

you say that you have cleaned the carbs but i have to ask ... did you remove the idle jets and ensure that the extremely tiny passages in them are clear ?
Fixit_Felix

Post by Fixit_Felix »

Yes, but that was the first time when I cleaned them and replaced everything. But there was jets in them that I couldn’t remove, and I sprayed carb cleaner and let some sea-foam sit in them over night and then sprayed them out with the compressor. When I mean by not able to remove I mean by they seemed to be pressed into the carbs them self cause they had no grove to place a flat head to remove them. And I also replaced the diaphragms that are on the sides of the carbs as well cause the old ones were dried out and cracked.
winguyjo

Post by winguyjo »

bad news/good news ... the bad news is that those jets are pressed in; the good news is that they CAN be removed.
i have had some success with turning a drywall screw into them so that it has a good bite and then pry out using a suitable pry point and gripping the screw under its head with side cutters.
the drywall screw won't hurt anything because the "business end" is at the other end of the jet. just don't screw it in so tight that you are actually expanding the brass jet and making it press even tighter against its bore.

OR ... get ahold of an ultrasonic cleaner and put the carb body in it.
Fixit_Felix

Post by Fixit_Felix »

Okay thank you very much for your assistance I’ll see what I can come up with tonight when I pull them back apart. (I’ve about got this removing and installing to a science on the amount of times I’ve pulled them)