Carb Needles & Seats

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Bummer15
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
2015 FJR

Carb Needles & Seats

Post by Bummer15 »

Hello! I am rebuilding my carbs from a 1981 GL1100. I have the Randakks Master Kit and book to help me get through it the right way. After the disassembly, I found that all 4 float needles were stuck in the seats. Soaking them didn't help so I pulled them out with a side cutter. I have read (Google) that it's best to replace the Needles & Seats as a matched set. I don't understand why I would need to do that. Has anyone heard of that for the GL1100 carbs? Howard's book does not mention anything about it.

Question #2: After soaking and boiling the carbs, the Slow Jet still seems restricted. I have tried wire from a wire brush as suggested with no luck. I have watched a few videos of people removing the pressed in Slow Jets with a #1 screw extractor. Has anyone had any luck cleaning the Slow Jets without removal? Has anyone on this Forum tried removing the little devils?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: Carb Needles & Seats

Post by OldguyGlen »

Keep searching for threads, both on and off this forum. Each thread on carb rebuild can show/tell some new info or tips or diagrams. I have replaced needles while retaining the orig seat. Clean the seat with q-tip and solvent till it's shiny. The needle tips are probably trash if they were stuck.
Many people have removed the slow jets with the Sheetrock screw, but I was able to get the jet clean in-situ. I boiled, and soaked, and used air pressure and fine wire. I don't know if the side holes ever got clean, but the bike runs perfectly now. There are many small passages with tiny holes in the wall of the carb bores. Use patience and perseverance till ALL passages are clear.
Bummer15
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
2015 FJR

Post by Bummer15 »

Thanks for the input OldguyGlen! I think I'll just clean the seats as suggested and order new needles. As for the slow jets, I'll use the guitar string method and keep soaking. I was worried about the little side holes but yours turned out okay so I'm leaving them in. Thanks again!
chief771
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing GL1100
1979 suzuki GL 750

Post by chief771 »

Last year I used the drywall screw method and pulled the jets you are talking about. I wont do it again as it damaged the jets. I think you are right to leave them in. Randakk recommends it as well. I did press the keys back in and the seem to be fine but I wont pull them again. I wasnt able to find new press in jets. Best of luck with your project!

Where ever you go, That's where you are.
Chief771
Kevin