Removing Mirror Glass

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Removing Mirror Glass

Post by mytown »

I want to swap mirror stems from a damaged mirror into a good one. I will have to remove the glass from both. I already broke the glass from the damaged one when trying to pry it out. Any tips for removing and replacing the glass?

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Removing Mirror Glass

Post by Overdog »

I had no trouble doing mine. Don't try to just remove the glass...remove the glass AND rubber at the same time. I warmed up the rubber a bit with a heat gun and used one of those orange handled picks from Harbor Freight. I did the one with the cracked glass first and was surprised that i got the cracked glass and rubber out in one piece! Make sure to tighten up the pivots. I put a bit of grease on the rubber when putting the new one back in and it slipped back into place with little effort.
mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Removing Mirror Glass

Post by mytown »

Overdog wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:09 am I had no trouble doing mine. Don't try to just remove the glass...remove the glass AND rubber at the same time. I warmed up the rubber a bit with a heat gun and used one of those orange handled picks from Harbor Freight. I did the one with the cracked glass first and was surprised that i got the cracked glass and rubber out in one piece! Make sure to tighten up the pivots. I put a bit of grease on the rubber when putting the new one back in and it slipped back into place with little effort.
Thanks for the reply, worked well. I warmed the gasket by putting the mirror in warm to hot water for about 10 minutes. Instead of a pick I slipped the entire width of a putty knife under the gasket at the narrow end of the mirror. It's important that the knife go only under the lip of the gasket. A little force and it popped right out. I cracked one when I forced just the corner of the knife under the entire thickness of the gasket.

Here's a pic of the inner pivot:

The gasket with the good mirror was cracked, but I was able to press the good glass into a good gasket. I used a little silicone grease on the final corner of the glass and with a little squeezing it slipped right in.