Coolant in Oil

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mrfreeze
Motorcycle: 1983 GL100I Interstate

Coolant in Oil

Post by mrfreeze »

Ok so here is my situation, First i had issues with one of the heads so i bought a set of what the guy said were good heads i installed them everything was good but then found hairline crack in the bottom of one head, this is after i took to shop for carb sync and compression check and other things. no issues other then that i saw. so the small oil leak was bothering me so i have purchased and installed another head. Now here is the issue Before i took it apart i drained the oil and it looked like milk. The bike was running very good no overheating issues or anything else. So i took the bad head off and installed the head i bought and even replaced the head gaskets on both sides. Timing is good bike was running good. checked oil IT looks like milk again WTF. I have done a ton of work to this bike and and spent a crap ton of money it did not have this issue before, The only other thing was I replaced the water pump and o-rings and gaskets COULD THIS BE THE REASON WHY COOLANT IS GETTING IN THE OIL? Its the only other thing i can think of other then a crack in the engine somewhere....PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME IS THERE SOMEWHERE ELSE THE OIL AND COOLANT COULD MIX?

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: Coolant in Oil

Post by winguyjo »

i am not clear on what you are saying here ... it sounds like you had a bad head, replaced it with one that turned out to have a hairline crack in it, then bought yet another bad head ans re-installed the head with the hairline crack in it. please clarify.
mrfreeze

Post by mrfreeze »

Sorry had 2 bad heads and now replaced with a good one. Now have coolant in oil. New head gaskets. Also new water pump and o-rings. Can figure out where coolant is getting into oil?
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

I'd suspect the O-Ring and seals for the water pump. The coolant can be by-passing the seals and getting into the oil.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
mrfreeze

Post by mrfreeze »

Thank you sir I have a new set of gaskets and o-rings I can install and I will go from there.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

One thing to remember is when changing the oil there is about a quart captive in the rear cover of the engine that does not drain (I was "rewarded" with an unexpected quart of oil on the garage floor years ago when removing rear cover on a "drained" engine to replace the stator). So when you drained the milk there was still a quart of it in there which got mixed in with your fresh oil.

So if the current color of your oil looks like this could be the case, another oil change may remedy it. Not to say it isn't the water pump seals.

After fixing the water pump you might consider changing the oil again, just fill it with really cheap oil, don't forget to drain the oil filter (reuse old filter) and run the engine to mix the cheap oil and remaining "milk". A few good laps around the neighborhood to get up to normal operating temperature should do it. Then go home and check for leaks.

If all checks out good change the oil and filter again with your preferred brands. What milk remains should be pretty dilute by this time.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

To answer your question of where coolant could leak into the crankcase there are only a few options (ignoring a "crack some where" possibility) that i tried to show in the attachments.

To get a time line on things……

1-Original heads on the bike, had an issue with one of the heads. Was the bike running and was the oil OK at this time?
2-Bought a set of “good” heads. Changed both heads / new gaskets. Noticed crack in one head causing oil leak. Otherwise running OK. Noticed oil was contaminated with coolant.
3-Obtained one “new” head to replace cracked head. Removed both heads and installed with new gaskets. Checked oil, same condition.

When was the water pump changed out? Before or after the oil contamination condition was noticed?

In my opinion it is unlikely that a water pump change will result in water in the crank case. There are only 3 passages from the front cover to the block where it could leak. All 3 have o-rings and gasket around them. If the pump it self had a leak it would show up as a drip from the weep hole.
There is a possibility for coolant to leak past the head gasket from the water jacket around the cylinder to the oil return port if there was any damage to the block or head in this area, or if the head was warped.
I am hoping that your problem was caused by residual oil contamination as suggested in a prior post. That would be an easy fix. Is the cooling system showing any signs of oil contamination? Unfortunately there is not a good way to diagnose where this problem is coming from. I would look at what is common between steps 2 and 3 above (factoring when the WP was changed) to see if that would narrow it down. I know this post will not diminish the frustration factor but I hope it might provide some help. Best of luck !
Attachments