Wiring Recommendations

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
radfordgoldwingresto
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 Goldwing Interstate

Wiring Recommendations

Post by radfordgoldwingresto »

Last summer I rescued an 83 Interstate from the scrap heap. New engine and brakes. All put back together with fresh fuel, newly rebuilt carbs, new battery, new stator, the works. I turn the key....nothing. : :? No accessories, no turn of the starter...nothing. I'm barely literate as it is but the wiring diagram is completely Greek to me. I know that I am going to have to run a voltage meter along the system to find where I am losing it. I would love some links to forums/videos that you all might recommend. Stuck inside because of Covid 19 lockdown is a perfect time to finish up this project so I can get my knees in the breeze after 22 years of being grounded. Let me know what you think.

Lucky07
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1984 CB550SC (Sold it :( )

Re: Wiring Recommendations

Post by Lucky07 »

How's your main fuse? If nothing is getting power I would start there. Then ignition switch.

The oem main fuse is a dog bone fuse on these things. Google "gl1100 main fuse" and go under images. You'll see what I mean. Alot of guys wire a fuse holder to both of those posts so they can use a standard blade fuse instead as they are easier to get in an emergency.

just left mine stock when I played in there, went to the dealer and they had some in stock so I took 6 ... figure I should be good for a while.
radfordgoldwingresto

The main fuse looks good but I am going to replace it to be sure. My gut has told me all along that it is the ignition switch. Which posts do I test for power with my voltage/amps meter? My diagram is telling me that the brown wires are the power but I've got two brown leads and two brown/white leads, a red and some others. A month ago I stumbled onto a youtube video that showed how to test things like the ignition switch, regulator/rectifier, and other components. I can't for the life of me find that same video.
Lucky07
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1984 CB550SC (Sold it :( )

Post by Lucky07 »

I have the diagrams printed from when I was looking to bypass my auto-cancelling turn signals. Ill take a look at them when I get home (agriculture can't stop because of this covid-19 crap) and get back to you. Should be pretty straightforward.
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate

Post by Chewy »

check your main ground wire first, make sure all contact surfaces are clean. next, check you positive cable from battery to the solenoid. these wires can go bad, ask me how i know.

if those are good, pull the fairing off and check the connection at the ign switch. look for burned plastic, or corroded terminals.
radfordgoldwingresto

Here's an update for those of you who have answered my call:
Main Fuse-Good
Ignition switch-good
I found that I reversed two leads on the solenoid. When I corrected that I have running lights no flashers, no start (hit the start button and the only click is located in the turn signal switch) I figured out that that is because I need to bypass the cancelling unit.

I can't find the turn signal relay. The diagram shows that I should have one in addition to the cancelling unit. Because I purchased a GPS speedometer I want to bypass the cancelling unit and the angle sensor. Is there a separate turn signal relay or is it contained in the cancelling unit?
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate

Post by Chewy »

Check the cable going from your battery to your solenoid and from the solenoid to your starter. I ran across an issue with mine where it with the solenoid was only click, found out that I needed to replace the cable going from the solenoid to the starter.