Back firing and farting

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
JoBoy68
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GoldWing GL 1100 Interstate

Back firing and farting

Post by JoBoy68 »

1983 GL 100 interstate,now most of the articles I have read on here said running like garbage mine sounds great when idling revs up great but it backfires and farts when it is cold it gets better when the bike warms up but never goes away completely today went for a ride it was warm out almost no back firing , on the way home the temp dropped and it backfired and farted all the way home got a little better when the engine warmed up but never completely stopped . The carbs have been completely rebuilt the vacuum gauges atop the carbs were very sticky cleaned them so they moved smoothly replace the O-Ring seals replaced accelerated pump and the drop down gauges on the side of each carb and the syncrination looks good I also sprayed WD-40 all around the carbs and intake manifold looking for vacuum leaks found nothing and I also replaced the thermostat , I am at a loss running out of ideas any input would be appreciated

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: Back firing and farting

Post by winguyjo »

at the risk of receiving a largely unreadable answer ... how long have you owned this bike ? did it do this before the carb rebuild ? who rebuilt them ? have you replaced the spark plugs or at least inspected/gapped them ?

JoBoy68

Post by JoBoy68 »

I bought the bike in 1998 due to health issues it sat for almost 10 years a friend and I went through the bike top to bottom everything was rebuilt or replaced the only thing not touched is the electronic ignition I had a knowledgable carb guy do the carburetors and it has the E-3 plugs in it and no I never had a backfiring problem before the bike sat for a long time

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

By any chance are the 5mm fittings for synchronizing the carbs still on the manifolds and are all the rubber caps still in place?

JoBoy68

Post by JoBoy68 »

yes the screws are all in the manifolds and if you are asking about the rubber boots on top of each manifold they are there and intact I sprayed that whole area with WD-40 when dealing looking for any vacuum leaks

JoBoy68

Re: Back firing and farting UPDATE

Post by JoBoy68 »

UPDATE ......I pulled the fuel filter it was half-filled with rust from the gas tank. I also was suspicious of the aftermarket exhaust system. I pulled the exhaust and I got 6 old exhaust gasket rings out so it was not properly seated into the exhaust manifold I believe the PFTTTT PFTTT noise I was hearing was coming from where exhaust pipe meets the manifold and the clogged fuel filter was starving carbs of gas . I was lucky enough to find a complete exhaust system used off another 83 in damm good shape. I had to order a few parts when they come in and I get it all back together we will see how much better it runs.

JoBoy68

Post by JoBoy68 »

I found a gas tank that the inside was like new and one item I was not concerned about was my coils I replaced them last spring only have a few K miles on them turn out one was bed replaced both coils and while it was all apart for the gas tank replaced puse generate now no more back firing or PFFTTTT PFTTTT noise and adjusted valves all these thing made the problem a little better but the new coils sealed the deal