Gear Selector - Is it in Neutral?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
CoffeeNinja
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Gear Selector - Is it in Neutral?

Post by CoffeeNinja »

Hey there!
Simple question: Is this gear selector in the neutral position? I assume that when it is notched, that is the neutral, however I am not 100% sure.
I have had this engine apart for a while, and am unfamiliar with how to know when it's apart like this. I figured this would be the perfect place to ask before I button it back up!

I put the selector into what I assume is the correct position. It's a GL1100 engine, I believe 81 or 82.

Thanks, and please ask if you need a video or more photos to confirm.

Much appreciated.

Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate

Re: Gear Selector - Is it in Neutral?

Post by Chewy »

CoffeeNinja wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:45 am Hey there!
Simple question: Is this gear selector in the neutral position? I assume that when it is notched, that is the neutral, however I am not 100% sure.
I have had this engine apart for a while, and am unfamiliar with how to know when it's apart like this. I figured this would be the perfect place to ask before I button it back up!
Vq6bh8u.jpg

I put the selector into what I assume is the correct position. It's a GL1100 engine, I believe 81 or 82.

Thanks, and please ask if you need a video or more photos to confirm.

Much appreciated.

easiest way to tell is if you can turn the output shaft. if so, you are in neutral. if not, you should be able to work the shifter while turning the output shaft to get through the gears.
CoffeeNinja
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by CoffeeNinja »

Chewy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:36 pm easiest way to tell is if you can turn the output shaft. if so, you are in neutral. if not, you should be able to work the shifter while turning the output shaft to get through the gears.
The engine is fully assembled, except for the front cover. Is the output shaft referring to where the driveshaft meets the engine? I'll go give it a try today. Thanks for the tip!
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate

Post by Chewy »

Yes it is. Hope everything goes well.