Oil still leaks from Water Pump weep hole

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
oswoody
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100i

Oil still leaks from Water Pump weep hole

Post by oswoody »

Ok, so getting pretty frustrated. The water pump needed replacing. Also, oil was leaking from the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump housing. This is a 1981 GL1100 with only 44K miles. I posted before and got some great instructions for replacing the pump and gaskets. I followed the steps one by one. I installed the pump, put new gaskets on, filled the oil and coolant. Then ran the bike for about 15 minutes. All was well. Then after sitting for about 5 minutes, it started leaking from the weep hole again. And not just a drop or two here and there. A consistent leak with a drop about every two seconds. So, I figured I did something wrong. So I ordered a new gasket set, took it all apart, cleaned it up again, replaced all gaskets and o rings. Then put it back together. Filled her up and fired her up. Turned it off after 10 minutes. No leaks. So I took it for a 10 mile test ride. Got home, parked it and put it on the center stand. Went to get the cover for it and there it is, leaking just as before. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would love to take it somewhere to get it done professionally but of course, no one works on older Honda's. Not even Honda. Sure wish I knew that before I bought it. Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: Oil still leaks from Water Pump weep hole

Post by indianakid »

You never mentioned replacing a seal. There is a seal for the oil pump that needs to be replaced. See pics 73 (attached), 105 and 106 of the water pump R&R article.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=275&hilit=water+pump+replace
Attachments

oswoody
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100i

Post by oswoody »

Yes, I did replace the seal and all O rings and gaskets. Only thing i can think of is maybe I damaged it when putting it in. I don't know.
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

OK...... The only paths for oil to get to the weep hole is past the oil pump seal, the O-ring between the oil pump and front cover or the three bolts that hold the water pump to the cover. If the seal or o-ring were leaking the oil will still have to pass by the rear water pump bearing which is also sealed. The bolts that secure the water pump are located below the oil level and offer the most direct path to the weep hole. Please reference image 100 in the water pump replacement post. Best of luck !!!