1983 Aspencade Electronic Speedo works but very dim

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
crumbliss.r639
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100

1983 Aspencade Electronic Speedo works but very dim

Post by crumbliss.r639 »

This is my first electronic dash GW, I just picked this beauty up yesterday. My last bike was sold about a year ago, so I have been without a ride for too long. I traded a 1989 Honda prelude straight across for this bike. Everything works, it even has the original 8-track tape player still installed. What a find. The paint is faded and it needs some TLC, but I rode it about 70 miles yesterday and it ran like a dream.

EXCEPT

The speedometer is very dim. while riding, it may as well not even be working at all, because it is so dim I can barely see it, and then only if I look closely. Problem is if I look that close, I am taking my eyes off the road for longer than is safe. Everything else works perfectly on the dash, fuel, RPM, Gear indicator, temp... they all work and are easily visible, its just the speedo that has a dim issue.

I have been researching for a while now and I cannot find anything about this. Is this something that can be fixed by replacing a bulb? I dont know that much about the old LCD displays to be able to say. Any help would be appreciated.